ruby-dev summary 25642-25708

SASADA Koichi

This is ruby-dev summary 25642-25708.

[ruby-dev:25647] C level set_trace_func

Shugo Maeda proposed an additional Ruby API which register
hook function like set_trace_func (ruby method) in C level.

The sample usage is as follows:

A hook function (C):
static void
prof_event_hook(rb_event_t event, NODE *node, VALUE self, ID mid, VALUE
klass)
{
}

Hook function registration API (Ruby C API):
rb_set_event_hook(prof_event_hook,
RUBY_EVENT_CALL | RUBY_EVENT_RETURN |
RUBY_EVENT_C_CALL | RUBY_EVENT_C_RETURN);

He implemented a high performance profiler with this scheme.
This issue is still open.

[ruby-dev:25658] ext/digest and libraries for crypto

Takahiro Kambe asked why Ruby requires openssl to build
crypto libraries (such as md5, rmd160 and sha1).

Akinori MUSHA answerd to this question that it was because
OpenSSL has platform independent APIs and it makes easy to
maintain such libraries.

[ruby-dev:25692] imported Oni Guruma 3.6.0

A new version of Oniguruma regexp engine, version 3.6.0 was imported
into Ruby CVS. In Addition, Nobu's patch to fix overrun problem was applied.

--
// SASADA Koichi at atdot dot net
//

1 Answer

gabriele renzi

SASADA Koichi ha scritto:

> [ruby-dev:25658] ext/digest and libraries for crypto
>
> Takahiro Kambe asked why Ruby requires openssl to build
> crypto libraries (such as md5, rmd160 and sha1).
>
> Akinori MUSHA answerd to this question that it was because
> OpenSSL has platform independent APIs and it makes easy to
> maintain such libraries.

what kind of maintenance were the old libraries getting?
I supposed they were quite stable already.

I'm asking because the need to rely on openssl for this "basic" stuff,
makes me little nervous about breaking compat with platforms where this
library is not common (i.e. on win32 )