Ghelani, Vidhi

2/14/2005 6:45:00 PM

Can anyone tell me what this line means:

File /oname=$OUTDIR\installbit.exe "${bit}"

What exactly is it trying to do ?

2 Answers

Mark Hubbart

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 03:44:38 +0900, Ghelani, Vidhi
<vidhi.ghelani@intel.com> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what this line means:
>
> File /oname=$OUTDIR\installbit.exe "${bit}"
>
> What exactly is it trying to do ?

Some context might help... Where is this code?

It really doesn't look like Ruby code to me. It parses as a method
call (Kernel#File()), with part of a regexp (/onname=...) as it's
argument.

cheers,
Mark

acharlieblue

Mark Hubbart wrote:
> It really doesn't look like Ruby code to me. It parses as a method
> call (Kernel#File()), with part of a regexp (/onname=...) as it's
> argument.

That "${bit}" is definitely not a Ruby subtitution. It's done that way
in Perl and shell scripting, but not Ruby. In Ruby it would be
"#{bit}". I don't know what language prefaces variable names with a
slash, though. I'm not really a Perlie, but I don't think it's a valid
sigil there (can't find it on any lists, anyway).