rubygems support issue

jason_watkins

Where should I go for a rubygems support question?

And if anyone here wants to take a crack, I'm getting a variety of
errors. This is on FreeBSD RELENG. From an irb session, 'require
rubygems' appears to evaluate properly, but then requiring any specific
gem evaluates to false.

Likewise when working from the main ruby interpreter. No error is given
other than any reference to a required gem is uninitialized.

Oddly enough, a simple test of one gem I have installed, linguistics,
does appear to work partly. Although the 'require 'linguistics' '
evaluates to false, it does appear to run some code, and gives me a
path error when attempting to enclude the 'en' linguistics extension.

So I suspect there's something wrong in the path configuration of my
rubygems install.

3 Answers

Chad Fowler

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:45:02 +0900, jason_watkins@pobox.com
<jason_watkins@pobox.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Where should I go for a rubygems support question?

Hi! ruby-talk will work, or there's always the rubygems-developers
list on RubyForge.

> And if anyone here wants to take a crack, I'm getting a variety of
> errors. This is on FreeBSD RELENG. From an irb session, 'require
> rubygems' appears to evaluate properly, but then requiring any specific
> gem evaluates to false.

Are you doing require_gem or require? Also, can you tell us your
"ruby -v" and "gem -v"?

> Likewise when working from the main ruby interpreter. No error is given
> other than any reference to a required gem is uninitialized.
>
> Oddly enough, a simple test of one gem I have installed, linguistics,
> does appear to work partly. Although the 'require 'linguistics' '
> evaluates to false, it does appear to run some code, and gives me a
> path error when attempting to enclude the 'en' linguistics extension.

I'm afraid there's a problem with the linguistics gem (my fault), so
it might not be a good one to test with. RedCloth or BlueCloth are
always nice simple ones to test with when you're having gems-related
issues.

> So I suspect there's something wrong in the path configuration of my
> rubygems install.

The output of "gem env" might also be helpful.

Thanks!
--

Chad Fowler
http://chad...

jason_watkins

Well, I've played around a bit more, still baffled:

Redcloth was working a few days ago. The only thing that's changed is I
did a gem install sqlite3-ruby

> ruby -v
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-07-29) [i386-freebsd4]
> gem -v
0.8.4
> gem list

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

Linguistics (1.0.2)
This is a generic, language-neutral framework for extending Ruby
objects with linguistic methods.

RedCloth (3.0.3, 3.0.2)
RedCloth is a module for using Textile and Markdown in Ruby.
Textile
and Markdown are text formats. A very simple text format. Another
stab at making readable text that can be converted to HTML.

sources (0.0.1)
This package provides download sources for remote gem installation

sqlite3-ruby (1.0.1)
SQLite3/Ruby is a module to allow Ruby scripts to interface with a
SQLite3 database.

vim-ruby (2004.09.20)
Ruby configuration files for Vim. Run 'vim-ruby-install.rb' to
complete installation.
> gem env
Rubygems Environment:
- VERSION: 0.8.4 (0.8.4)
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- GEM PATH:
- /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- http://gems.rub...
> irb --tracer
irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> require 'RedCloth'
LoadError: No such file to load -- RedCloth
from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:26:in
`require'
from (irb):2
irb(main):003:0> require 'Linguistcs'
LoadError: No such file to load -- Linguistcs
from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:26:in
`require'
from (irb):3
irb(main):004:0> require 'sqlite3'
=> false
irb(main):005:0> db = SQLite::Database.new("test.db")
NameError: uninitialized constant SQLite
from (irb):5
irb(main):006:0> require_gem 'RedCloth'
Gem::LoadError:
Could not find RubyGem RedCloth
(> 0.0.0)

from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:131:in
`activate'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:34:in
`require_gem'
from (irb):6
irb(main):007:0> $:
=> ["/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite3-ruby-1.0.1/bin",
"/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite3-ruby-1.0.1/lib",
"/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8",
"/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i386-freebsd4",
"/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby", "/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8",
"/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-freebsd4", "."]

Using -rubygems, -r rubygems, etc doesn't appear to make a difference.

jason_watkins

Well, while I haven't discovered my issue, it's working now.

I think it's high time to replace this aging box and get up on a more
recent version of the OS... it seems haunted.

Thanks Chad.