Re: utilizing ++ and -- for comments

Peña, Botp

2/14/2005 2:29:00 AM

David A. Black [mailto:dblack@wobblini.net] wrote:

>They've already seen the light of day:
>
>irb(main):001:0> ++ 100
>=> 100
>irb(main):002:0> -- 100
>=> 100

yikes!, weird and dangerous, imho. And it confuses nubies (at least on me
eg).

consider eg:

irb(main):007:0> x++ --x
=> 2

irb(main):007:0> x++--x
=> 2

it gets weirder.. :-)

I would be happier if they return error.

>And we have comment mechanisms already too :-)
>
>I understand that not everyone likes the hash-mark comment
>idiom. But isn't this just another of the thousand things

We understand that. I'm happy with hash mark btw. If -- be equal to #, then
I'm also happier. I'm just proposing use or better use for ++/--. I think we
can propose alternatives for =begin and =end also.

>David

kind regards -botp

1 Answer

dblack