OT) Programmer's editors for the Mac

Tim Hunter

2/13/2005 11:46:00 PM

Just got a new Powerbook, so I'm looking for suggestions for a good
programmer's editor for both Ruby and C. I already know vi. I'm looking
for a GUI-type editor.

41 Answers

James Gray

On Feb 13, 2005, at 6:02 PM, Timothy Hunter wrote:

> Just got a new Powerbook, so I'm looking for suggestions for a good
> programmer's editor for both Ruby and C. I already know vi. I'm
> looking for a GUI-type editor.

I've used BBEdit for many years now. It's a very polished very
Mac-style editor, but the price is steep:

http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/i...

Recently, I am playing with TextMate as well. The price is much
friendlier and many of its automation features are very impressive.
It's young, which I would say is a blessing and a curse. One the plus
side, it's under heavy development and you can literally see the
changes weekly. On the downside, it's still a little rough around some
edges:

http://macro...

I suggest trying the demos.

Hope that helps.

James Edward Gray II

Richard Kilmer

TextMate...hands down the best I've used.

http://macro...

39 euros...worth every penny.

-rich

On 2/13/05 7:02 PM, "Timothy Hunter" <cyclists@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Just got a new Powerbook, so I'm looking for suggestions for a good
> programmer's editor for both Ruby and C. I already know vi. I'm looking
> for a GUI-type editor.

Alexander Kellett

On Feb 14, 2005, at 1:02 AM, Timothy Hunter wrote:
> Just got a new Powerbook, so I'm looking for suggestions for a good
> programmer's editor for both Ruby and C. I already know vi. I'm
> looking for a GUI-type editor.

as soon as i find the time i'll be porting ruvi to
qt4 with a very pretty custom text edit widget.

who wants to provide me with 72 hour days? ;)

Alex

Shalev NessAiver

Well, FreeIDE seems to work fine. You can get it from darwinports
(http://darwinports.open...).
Just install darwinports and type "sudo port install freeride".

As the name suggests, this solution is $39.99 cheaper than TextMate and
works pretty well.

-Shalev

On Feb 13, 2005, at 7:49 PM, Alexander Kellett wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2005, at 1:02 AM, Timothy Hunter wrote:
>> Just got a new Powerbook, so I'm looking for suggestions for a good
>> programmer's editor for both Ruby and C. I already know vi. I'm
>> looking for a GUI-type editor.
>
> as soon as i find the time i'll be porting ruvi to
> qt4 with a very pretty custom text edit widget.
>
> who wants to provide me with 72 hour days? ;)
>
> Alex

Brian Blazer

I use eclipse. With very easily installed plugins, it will work with
just about any language you want. The GUI is very intuitive, and it
has a lot of great functions. Plus it is FREE!!!

Brian

On Feb 13, 2005, at 6:02 PM, Timothy Hunter wrote:

> Just got a new Powerbook, so I'm looking for suggestions for a good
> programmer's editor for both Ruby and C. I already know vi. I'm
> looking for a GUI-type editor.

Jarek Rzeszótko

On pon, 2005-02-14 at 09:02 +0900, Timothy Hunter wrote:
>Just got a new Powerbook, so I'm looking for suggestions for a good
>programmer's editor for both Ruby and C. I already know vi. I'm looking
>for a GUI-type editor.
Don't forget that real programmers use Emacs. After installing some
packages it has Ruby syntax highlighing, auto indent, can run an
embedded Ruby interpreter, has an interface to ri and so on... Eclipse
with Ruby plugin and FreeRIDE are some easier alternatives and can also
be interesting.

Jarek Rzeszótko

Mark Hubbart

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:02:15 +0900, Timothy Hunter <cyclists@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Just got a new Powerbook, so I'm looking for suggestions for a good
> programmer's editor for both Ruby and C. I already know vi. I'm looking
> for a GUI-type editor.

For a text editor with syntax highlighting and lightweight code
browsing, check out SubEthaEdit
(http://www.codingmonkeys.de/su...). Besides having a nice
mac-ish interface, it also has some nifty collaborative features.

And it's free (for non-commercial use, US$35 otherwise)

cheers,
Mark

Tim Heaney

James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> writes:

> On Feb 13, 2005, at 6:02 PM, Timothy Hunter wrote:
>
>> Just got a new Powerbook, so I'm looking for suggestions for a good
>> programmer's editor for both Ruby and C. I already know vi. I'm
>> looking for a GUI-type editor.
>
> I've used BBEdit for many years now. It's a very polished very
> Mac-style editor, but the price is steep:

There is a free version, as well

http://www.barebones.com/products/tex...

Thomas Kirchner

* On Feb 14 9:02, Timothy Hunter (ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org) wrote:
> I already know vi. I'm looking for a GUI-type editor.

It has to be said. Gvim :) If you already know vi, it's the
only way to fly.
Tom

Karl von Laudermann

Timothy Hunter wrote:
> Just got a new Powerbook, so I'm looking for suggestions for a good
> programmer's editor for both Ruby and C. I already know vi. I'm
looking
> for a GUI-type editor.

XCode, which is part of Apple's (free) development tools, is not too
shabby. I also like JEdit (http://...), which is cross-platform,
being written in Java. It's highly customizable. (Go to
http://community.jedit.org/?q=node... to download a Ruby syntax
highlighting descriptor that's much more complete than the one that
ships with the current version of JEdit.)