Re: new to this language

Ghelani, Vidhi

2/11/2005 7:15:00 PM

Hey Douglas,

This may seem like a really silly question but I have irb installed and
I was wondering how do I have to go about typing an entire class and
running it from this shell?

Thanks,
Vidhi.

-----Original Message-----
From: Douglas Livingstone [mailto:rampant@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 10:46 AM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: new to this language

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 03:07:39 +0900, Ghelani, Vidhi
<vidhi.ghelani@intel.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> "(btw. what os are you using?)" ...I am using windows xp. But the way
I am working on this is, I connect to a secure shell network, using
putty, and I am connect using an IP address of a linux machine. Now, is
there any way I could work on this using windows itself?

Sure, just download http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby... and
then add ruby/bin to your %PATH%.

Douglas

1 Answer

Forrest Chang

you could cheat a little and write it in your editor
(many of them support a ruby mode with syntax
highlighting and other stuff), and the type "load
'module'" in irb to load it. Since you will likley
be changing it regularly you don't want to use require
which will load it only the 1st time -- load forces
load each time.

Me personally, I modified the mode-compile mode in
(x)emacs to recognize ruby, so I run from (x)emacs,
and get the cool "jump to the error in your source
code" feature that emacs compile modes have.

Forrest