Re: [Newbie] Efficient method lookup from integer

Peña, Botp

2/11/2005 10:09:00 AM

James [mailto:az@despammed.com] wrote:

//What would be a good ruby idiom to move efficiently from
//a positive integer in the range 0 to ~2000 to a specific
//method call?
//
//A case / when statement would do this simply, but in perl
//I sped this up by building a lookup table using
//an array containing references to the appropriate perl subs.

something like this?

C:\family\ruby>cat a1.rb
m=[]
m[0]="first_method"
m[1]="second_method"
m[2]="third_method"

def first_method
p "i'm first"
end

def second_method
p "i'm second :-)"
end

def third_method
p "i'm third and i called them backed! :-)))"
first_method
second_method
end

m.each { |method|
send method
}

C:\family\ruby>a1.rb
"i'm first"
"i'm second :-)"
"i'm third and i called them backed! :-)))"
"i'm first"
"i'm second :-)"

#i'm writing this w my son james at my back too :-)
#hth

//
//Best Wishes,
//James