Cross Platform GUI Toolkits

Tabor Kelly

2/10/2005 7:32:00 PM

Hello,

My apologies if this is a silly question. I have never written a game
before and I have never used a GUI toolkit before. I am an accomplished
programmer (at things like HTTP proxy servers), and a senior in a
Computer Science program.

I want to write a simple asteroids style game that will run on both my
FreeBSD box, and my brother's Windows box. I want to use Ruby because I
really want to learn Ruby, partially so I can try out RAILS. I want to
write a clone of an old DOS game I can remember playing, but I can't
remember the name of it.

Anyway, I will need simple 2D animation. So, what will work for this? I
heat GTK+ is nice to code for with Ruby, but it looks like the Win32
port for GTK+ is kind of unstable (please correct me if I am wrong). I
have heard that TK is a little painful to program with, but is _very_
cross platform (again, correct me if I am wrong). How about FOX? Will
these GUI toolkits even work, or should I be looking at SDL?

Thank You in advance.

--

Tabor Kelly
tkelly-ruby-talk@taborandtashell.net

4 Answers

Alexander Kellett

On Feb 10, 2005, at 8:32 PM, Tabor Kelly wrote:
> Anyway, I will need simple 2D animation. So, what will work for this?
> I heat GTK+ is nice to code for with Ruby, but it looks like the Win32
> port for GTK+ is kind of unstable (please correct me if I am wrong). I
> have heard that TK is a little painful to program with, but is _very_
> cross platform (again, correct me if I am wrong). How about FOX? Will
> these GUI toolkits even work, or should I be looking at SDL?

gtk's canvas is not only slow but also supposedly quite
unstable on win32. so yeah. i think ur right ;)

i'm qtruby co-devel so i should really be saying things
like: qt! cus qt4 will have gpl'ed windows support!!!
and its wonderful! yay! and whoop!

but erm. sdl is a better choice. so i won't :P

Alex

R. Mark Volkmann

Quoting Alexander Kellett <ruby-lists@lypanov.net>:

> On Feb 10, 2005, at 8:32 PM, Tabor Kelly wrote:
> > Anyway, I will need simple 2D animation. So, what will work for this?
> > I heat GTK+ is nice to code for with Ruby, but it looks like the Win32
> > port for GTK+ is kind of unstable (please correct me if I am wrong). I
> > have heard that TK is a little painful to program with, but is _very_
> > cross platform (again, correct me if I am wrong). How about FOX? Will
> > these GUI toolkits even work, or should I be looking at SDL?
>
> gtk's canvas is not only slow but also supposedly quite
> unstable on win32. so yeah. i think ur right ;)

I believe Tk's canvas is both fast and stable. I've had good success with it.

--
R. Mark Volkmann
Partner, Object Computing, Inc.

Christian Neukirchen

"R. Mark Volkmann" <mark@ociweb.com> writes:

> Quoting Alexander Kellett <ruby-lists@lypanov.net>:
>
>> On Feb 10, 2005, at 8:32 PM, Tabor Kelly wrote:
>> > Anyway, I will need simple 2D animation. So, what will work for this?
>> > I heat GTK+ is nice to code for with Ruby, but it looks like the Win32
>> > port for GTK+ is kind of unstable (please correct me if I am wrong). I
>> > have heard that TK is a little painful to program with, but is _very_
>> > cross platform (again, correct me if I am wrong). How about FOX? Will
>> > these GUI toolkits even work, or should I be looking at SDL?
>>
>> gtk's canvas is not only slow but also supposedly quite
>> unstable on win32. so yeah. i think ur right ;)
>
> I believe Tk's canvas is both fast and stable. I've had good success with it.

I found it rather slow, as you need to create an object per line and
so on... YMMV.

>> i'm qtruby co-devel so i should really be saying things
>> like: qt! cus qt4 will have gpl'ed windows support!!!
>> and its wonderful! yay! and whoop!

Someday. :-)

>> but erm. sdl is a better choice. so i won't :P

I'd use SDL too.

--
Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen@gmail.com> http://chneuk...

timsuth

In article <420BB6BD.7070006@taborandtashell.net>, Tabor Kelly wrote:
[...]
>Anyway, I will need simple 2D animation. So, what will work for this? I
>heat GTK+ is nice to code for with Ruby, but it looks like the Win32
>port for GTK+ is kind of unstable (please correct me if I am wrong). I
>have heard that TK is a little painful to program with, but is _very_
>cross platform (again, correct me if I am wrong). How about FOX? Will
>these GUI toolkits even work, or should I be looking at SDL?

I haven't used it, but RUDL (http://ru...) sits on top of SDL and
provides a higher level interface. (Based on the PyGame Python library.)