[Q] RubyGems dependencies.

George Moschovitis

2/10/2005 1:50:00 PM

Hello everyone,

I have a small question regarding RubyGems. In my GemSpec
I add a number of dependencies:

s.add_dependency 'postgres', '>= 0.7.1'
s.add_dependency 'extensions', '>= 0.5'
s.add_dependency 'sqlite3-ruby', '>= 1.0.0'

Then I build the gem.

When I try to install the gem from the local file, the dependencies are
not resolved:

gem install --local mygem.gem

I get errors like 'postgres not found' instead of Gems asking about
downloading the postgres gem. So I cannot test my Gem. Any idea?

regards,
George

4 Answers

Alexander Kellett

On Feb 10, 2005, at 2:50 PM, George Moschovitis wrote:
> gem install --local mygem.gem

gem install mygem.gem

Alex

George Moschovitis

Hello Alex

As I said, I tried that and I get errors:

-> Local installation can't proceed due to LoadError:
Could not find RubyGem postgres (>= 0.7.1)

instead of RubyGems asking me to download the postgres gem.

regards,
George.

Chad Fowler

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:50:04 +0900, George Moschovitis
<george.moschovitis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a small question regarding RubyGems. In my GemSpec
> I add a number of dependencies:
>
> s.add_dependency 'postgres', '>= 0.7.1'
> s.add_dependency 'extensions', '>= 0.5'
> s.add_dependency 'sqlite3-ruby', '>= 1.0.0'
>
> Then I build the gem.
>
> When I try to install the gem from the local file, the dependencies are
> not resolved:
>
> gem install --local mygem.gem
>
> I get errors like 'postgres not found' instead of Gems asking about
> downloading the postgres gem. So I cannot test my Gem. Any idea?

It's a limitation of RubyGems that was originally by intention. Now
it just hasn't been fixed yet (we've seen the error of our (actually
my) ways). Should make it into a release soon!

--

Chad Fowler
http://chad...

George Moschovitis