Ruby Sybase

kingsley

2/9/2005 4:35:00 PM

5 Answers

Luke Galea

Seems like there are a fair number of people out there crying for this..

I haven't found anything ideal either.. there is sybase-ctlib which connects
through sybase's proprietary C access library (open connect???)..

I'm told that works but I wanted something more "free"..

Also SQL-Relay should offer an option (use Ruby's SQL-Relay driver and
connect to a SQL-Relay that goes to Sybase).. but I haven't tried that
either..

In theory using GNOME-DB might work as well (haven't looked into that one at
all).. but they are all hacks compared to a good native ruby library or
something based on freeTDS.

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 11:34, Kingsley Hendrickse wrote:
> Hi
>
> is anyone currently working on any Ruby Sybase connection code?
>
> I really want to connect to a sybase db via Ruby and all the packages I
> found so far are outdated and broken and use non-free stuff.
>
> If there's no-one working on it would anyone like to help me with one?
>
> perhaps using FreeTDS or something.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kingsley

Glass

sybase-ctlib and SQL-Relay are only for Unix. There is nothing for
Windows. Someone needs to figure out how to made a Ruby Sybase
connection.

Glass

sybase-ctlib and SQL-Relay are only for Unix. There is nothing for
Windows. Someone needs to figure out how to made a Ruby Sybase
connection.

Glass

sybase-ctlib and SQL-Relay are only for Unix. There is nothing for
Windows. Someone needs to figure out how to made a Ruby Sybase
connection.

John

Luke Galea wrote:
> I haven't found anything ideal either.. there is sybase-ctlib which connects
> through sybase's proprietary C access library (open connect???)..

There's freetds, though IMO a pure Ruby version would be a lot
cooler than a wrapper around the C version. It would also work
with MS SQL Server.