Ruby users in India?

Premshree Pillai

I have been using Ruby for quite some time now -- I use it for most of
my internal work-related stuff (where I don't have to use _a_
particular language). In the past I have used Python. I used to
evangelize about Python in the past, but no longer (my reasons, if you
care: http://www.livejournal.com/users/premshree/...).

So I have been speaking on Ruby whenever I get the opportunity. I'll
be speaking on another upcoming event in India (at Pune, to be
specific; details at http://gnunify.sicsr.ac.in/she...). The
thing is, I have not been able to find many Ruby programmers who talk
about Ruby and stuff -- or if they do exist, they're not interested in
spreading Ruby.

Through this forum I'd like to specifically address Ruby users from
India. I have been doing my best to evangelize about Ruby through
various confs. But, this is not an easy task -- it requires a lot more
evangelists. Ruby, at the moment, is in a position where it _requires_
evangelism first, then education (a fine line here, but I hope you get
the idea).

I'd really like it if I could hear from Ruby users in India -- so
that, if possible, we could form some kind of a user group, and help
in promoting Ruby.

*hopeful*

--
Premshree Pillai

19 Answers

Zach Dennis

Premshree Pillai wrote:

> evangelize about Python in the past, but no longer (my reasons, if you
> care: http://www.livejournal.com/users/premshree/...).

Kinda vulgar IMO, at least in the first sentence, it made me not want to
go on.

> So I have been speaking on Ruby whenever I get the opportunity. I'll
> be speaking on another upcoming event in India (at Pune, to be
> specific; details at http://gnunify.sicsr.ac.in/she...). The
> thing is, I have not been able to find many Ruby programmers who talk
> about Ruby and stuff -- or if they do exist, they're not interested in
> spreading Ruby.
>
> Through this forum I'd like to specifically address Ruby users from
> India. I have been doing my best to evangelize about Ruby through
> various confs. But, this is not an easy task -- it requires a lot more
> evangelists. Ruby, at the moment, is in a position where it _requires_
> evangelism first, then education (a fine line here, but I hope you get
> the idea).

Sometimes education is the best evangelism.

> I'd really like it if I could hear from Ruby users in India -- so
> that, if possible, we could form some kind of a user group, and help
> in promoting Ruby.

Good Luck!

Zach

Premshree Pillai

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 06:20:45 +0900, Zach Dennis <zdennis@mktec.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Premshree Pillai wrote:
>
> > evangelize about Python in the past, but no longer (my reasons, if you
> > care: http://www.livejournal.com/users/premshree/...).
>
> Kinda vulgar IMO, at least in the first sentence, it made me not want to
> go on.

Umm, vulgar is subjective. Well....

> > So I have been speaking on Ruby whenever I get the opportunity. I'll
> > be speaking on another upcoming event in India (at Pune, to be
> > specific; details at http://gnunify.sicsr.ac.in/she...). The
> > thing is, I have not been able to find many Ruby programmers who talk
> > about Ruby and stuff -- or if they do exist, they're not interested in
> > spreading Ruby.
> >
> > Through this forum I'd like to specifically address Ruby users from
> > India. I have been doing my best to evangelize about Ruby through
> > various confs. But, this is not an easy task -- it requires a lot more
> > evangelists. Ruby, at the moment, is in a position where it _requires_
> > evangelism first, then education (a fine line here, but I hope you get
> > the idea).
>
> Sometimes education is the best evangelism.

Evangelism involves reasoning. Education is different. As I said, it's
a fine line.

> > I'd really like it if I could hear from Ruby users in India -- so
> > that, if possible, we could form some kind of a user group, and help
> > in promoting Ruby.
>
> Good Luck!

Thanks :-)

--
Premshree Pillai

Yogi

We have a few budding rubyists at ThoughtWorks, Bangalore. We've been
using Ruby a lot recently to automate build-related tasks. In our
spare time, some of us also work on DamageControl
(http://damagecontrol.co...), a continuous integration server
in ruby, developed by Jon and Aslak at ThoughtWorks.

We've been thinking of starting a dynamic languages user group in
Bangalore (we have some Python, SmallTalk and Scheme fans)... but why
delay the inevitable, it might as well be a Ruby User Group ;-)

- Yogi
Developer, www.thoughtworks.com

Premshree Pillai

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 22:40:06 +0900, Yogi <yogi.kulkarni@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have a few budding rubyists at ThoughtWorks, Bangalore. We've been
> using Ruby a lot recently to automate build-related tasks. In our
> spare time, some of us also work on DamageControl
> (http://damagecontrol.co...), a continuous integration server
> in ruby, developed by Jon and Aslak at ThoughtWorks.
>
> We've been thinking of starting a dynamic languages user group in
> Bangalore (we have some Python, SmallTalk and Scheme fans)... but why
> delay the inevitable, it might as well be a Ruby User Group ;-)

Don't you think a dynamic languages user group would quickly
disintegrate? We have a Python user group in Bangalore (started
recently). I was wondering if there are enough Rubyists in India to
form a user group.

> - Yogi
> Developer, www.thoughtworks.com

--
Premshree Pillai
http://www.livejournal.com/users/...

Martin DeMello

Premshree Pillai <premshree.pillai@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd really like it if I could hear from Ruby users in India -- so
> that, if possible, we could form some kind of a user group, and help
> in promoting Ruby.

Count me in! Thus far, my evangelism has been mostly at the
word-of-mouth level, and, of course, using it for everything internal I
can. I had a moment of satisfaction when an officemate of mine (who's
convinced, but hasn't had the time to learn another language yet) told
me "one of my friends was planning on learning Perl, so I told him about
Ruby and showed him ZenTest as an example of the cool stuff you can do
with it". Another friend is interested in Indian scripts, and is eager
to use Ruby for his next project if the Pango bindings are decent (I
wasn't able to tell him anything about that, but he's been hanging out
in #ruby-lang).

martin

Martin DeMello

Premshree Pillai <premshree.pillai@gmail.com> wrote:

> Don't you think a dynamic languages user group would quickly
> disintegrate? We have a Python user group in Bangalore (started
> recently). I was wondering if there are enough Rubyists in India to
> form a user group.

I don't know - we might get more of a critical mass here in Bangalore
for a dynamic languages group, and the cross fertilisation would only be
beneficial. Plus I'm trying to learn Common Lisp and it'd be a useful
impetus to actually do something about it :)

martin

Martin DeMello

Yogi <yogi.kulkarni@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have a few budding rubyists at ThoughtWorks, Bangalore. We've been

Where were you when I asked for Bangalore rubyists?! :)

martin

kingsley

Yogi

> > Don't you think a dynamic languages user group would quickly
> > disintegrate? We have a Python user group in Bangalore (started
> > recently). I was wondering if there are enough Rubyists in India to
> > form a user group.

How many people would we need to sustain a user group?

Actually, why don't we just meetup and see who turns up. Even if there
are only 4-5 passionate rubyists, I'd love to meet... hopefully some
kind of group will emerge from it.

Eric Hodel

On 09 Feb 2005, at 20:40, Yogi wrote:

>>> Don't you think a dynamic languages user group would quickly
>>> disintegrate? We have a Python user group in Bangalore (started
>>> recently). I was wondering if there are enough Rubyists in India to
>>> form a user group.
>
> How many people would we need to sustain a user group?
>
> Actually, why don't we just meetup and see who turns up. Even if there
> are only 4-5 passionate rubyists, I'd love to meet... hopefully some
> kind of group will emerge from it.

Forming a solid and active Ruby user group (or any user group) is
something that takes time, advertisement and recruiting. Seattle.rb
hasn't grown much since we first started meeting over 2 years ago, but
we do have a few things that are important for a good user group:

* Regular meeting location
* Regular meeting time
* Mailing list

OMNI Group has been letting us use its space for Ruby meetings for
quite some time, which gives us the advantage of a stable place to meet
and nice big screens for doing demos and so-forth. We've established a
consistent meeting time, and we announce on the mailing list before
each meeting and try (but don't always succeed) in choosing something
to talk about/demo/whatever.

For each meeting we've typically had only 3 or 4 people show up out of
a rotating stable group, and maybe 2 or 3 other new faces. Getting
famous Ruby faces (like DHH) brings in a much larger crowd (17, last
meeting).

Most importantly, you can't give up. Also, try bribing people with
cookies or food or something.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://se...
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04