Re: gems changes?

Harry Ohlsen

2/7/2005 11:50:00 PM

Reading this thread, I thought I'd update my rubygems, too.

Can anyone explain the last line of the following listing, given that it
seems to say it's installing 0.8.4? Is there something extra I need to
do to start using the new version?

Sorry, I didn't think to do a "gem --version" *before* the update, so I
can't tell you which version I had previously, but I'm guessing it was
0.8.3.

-----------------------------------

C:\>gem install rubygems-update

C:\>"c:\ruby-1.8.2\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby-1.8.2\bin\gem" install
rubygems-update
Attempting local installation of 'rubygems-update'
Local gem file not found: rubygems-update*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rubygems-update'
Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rub...
Successfully installed rubygems-update, version 0.8.4
Installing RDoc documentation for rubygems-update-0.8.4...
WARNING: Generating RDoc on .gem that may not have RDoc.

C:\>gem --version

C:\>"c:\ruby-1.8.2\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby-1.8.2\bin\gem" --version
0.8.3

--------------------------------
By the way, I have another version of Ruby installed, so I figured
perhaps the rubygems in that installation got updated, but I checked to
see what version it is and it's not been updated, either.
---------------------------------

C:\>c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe c:\ruby\bin\gem --version
0.8.1

If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it and notify the sender as soon as possible. The contents of this e-mail may be confidential and the unauthorized use, copying, or dissemination of it and any attachments to it, is prohibited.

Internet communications are not secure and Hyperion does not, therefore, accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message nor for any damage caused by viruses. The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion.

For more information about Hyperion, please visit our Web site at www.hyperion.com

2 Answers

Assaph Mehr

> -----------------------------------
>
> C:\>gem install rubygems-update
>
> C:\>"c:\ruby-1.8.2\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby-1.8.2\bin\gem" install
> rubygems-update
> Attempting local installation of 'rubygems-update'
> Local gem file not found: rubygems-update*.gem
> Attempting remote installation of 'rubygems-update'
> Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rub...
> Successfully installed rubygems-update, version 0.8.4
> Installing RDoc documentation for rubygems-update-0.8.4...
> WARNING: Generating RDoc on .gem that may not have RDoc.
>
> C:\>gem --version
>
> C:\>"c:\ruby-1.8.2\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby-1.8.2\bin\gem" --version
> 0.8.3

a. You should run update-rubygems after the gem-install to actually
update the library.

b. use 'gem env' instead of 'gem --version' for more details.

HTH,
Assaph

Austin Ziegler

Remember to run "update_rubygems".