Ruby and maildir

Michal Koudelka

2/7/2005 12:14:00 AM

Hi, Does anybody know about ruby library for working with maildirs?

I checked RAA but I found nothing :-(

--
Michal Koudelka
mithrandir2003cz@gmail.com

ICQ : 192421460
YAHOO : mithrandir2003cz
AIM : mithrandir2003cz
MSN : mithrandir2003cz@hotmail.com
JABBER : mithrandir@njs.netlab.cz

Being Ymor's right-hand man was like being gently flogged to death with
scented bootlaces.
-- Terry Pratchett, "The Colour of Magic"

5 Answers

Dido Sevilla

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:13:42 +0900, mithrandir2003cz@gmail.com
<mithrandir2003cz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Does anybody know about ruby library for working with maildirs?
>
> I checked RAA but I found nothing :-(

I use rubymail (http://www.lickey.com...). Maildirs are a
helluvalot simpler than mboxes. A maildir is simply a directory with
three standard subdirectories under it named cur, new, and tmp. Each
of these directories contains one file per mail message, with a name
based on the epoch time. Rubymail + the standard library is more than
adequate to do any reasonable manipulation of a maildir very easily,
without an explosion of complexity.

Matt Armstrong

Dido Sevilla <dido.sevilla@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:13:42 +0900, mithrandir2003cz@gmail.com
> <mithrandir2003cz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, Does anybody know about ruby library for working with maildirs?
>>
>> I checked RAA but I found nothing :-(
>
> I use rubymail (http://www.lickey.com...). Maildirs are a
> helluvalot simpler than mboxes. A maildir is simply a directory with
> three standard subdirectories under it named cur, new, and tmp. Each
> of these directories contains one file per mail message, with a name
> based on the epoch time. Rubymail + the standard library is more
> than adequate to do any reasonable manipulation of a maildir very
> easily, without an explosion of complexity.

RubyFilter (at http://www.lickey.com/r... ) can deliver new
mail to a Maildir. But neither RubyMail nor RubyFilter has code for
actually reading mail from a maildir (e.g. moving messages from "new"
to "cur", properly processing "tmp", etc. according to the Maildir
spec). That would be an interesting project!

But as mithrandir2003cz@gmail.com suggests above, it isn't that hard
to work with Maildirs since each message is in an individual file.

--
matt

ptkwt

In article <fd55348f050206175951105ccc@mail.gmail.com>,
Dido Sevilla <dido.sevilla@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:13:42 +0900, mithrandir2003cz@gmail.com
><mithrandir2003cz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, Does anybody know about ruby library for working with maildirs?
>>
>> I checked RAA but I found nothing :-(
>
>I use rubymail (http://www.lickey.com...). Maildirs are a
>helluvalot simpler than mboxes. A maildir is simply a directory with
>three standard subdirectories under it named cur, new, and tmp. Each
>of these directories contains one file per mail message, with a name
>based on the epoch time. Rubymail + the standard library is more than
>adequate to do any reasonable manipulation of a maildir very easily,
>without an explosion of complexity.

Sounds interesting... are there any utilities to translate mailboxes of
various sorts to mildirs? (like from the OSX mail program mboxes to
maildirs)

Phil

Christian Neukirchen

ptkwt@aracnet.com (Phil Tomson) writes:

> Sounds interesting... are there any utilities to translate mailboxes of
> various sorts to mildirs? (like from the OSX mail program mboxes to
> maildirs)

mbox to maildir conversion is usually done with formail(1) and
procmail(1).

--
Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen@gmail.com> http://chneuk...

Robert Klemme

<mithrandir2003cz@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi, Does anybody know about ruby library for working with maildirs?
>
> I checked RAA but I found nothing :-(

There's also Gurgitate-Mail which might be a basis if you want to cook
something yourself:
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/gurgi...

Kind regards

robert