The Making of the SQLite3/Ruby Manual

Bil Kleb

2/6/2005 6:18:00 AM

Jamis,

As you graciously did with the Copland manual and siblings,
can you give a cooks tour of the SQLite3 manual. It
has a similar look and feel, but obviously a very different
engine.

Thanks,
--
Bil Kleb, Hampton, Virginia
3 Answers

Jamis Buck

On 15:20 Sun 06 Feb , Bil Kleb wrote:
> Jamis,
>
> As you graciously did with the Copland manual and siblings,
> can you give a cooks tour of the SQLite3 manual. It
> has a similar look and feel, but obviously a very different
> engine.

This time, it was all done in Hieraki (http://www.h...),
a Rails-based collaborative book-writing tool by Tobias Luetke.
I tweaked the heck out of the interface, but other than that, it's
just Hieraki, running as a CGI.

With Hieraki, you just obtain an author account, and then you can
create new books. Each book has multiple chapters, and each chapter
has multiple "pages" (or sections)--you edit these all right in the
browser, in textile.

- Jamis

--
Jamis Buck
jamis_buck@byu.edu

Bil Kleb

Jamis Buck wrote:
> On 15:20 Sun 06 Feb, Bil Kleb wrote:
>
> With Hieraki, you just obtain an author account, and then you can
> create new books. Each book has multiple chapters, and each chapter
> has multiple "pages" (or sections)--you edit these all right in the
> browser, in textile.

Edit in the browser? Sounds painful. Is there an upload option?

It looks like you've got your figure markup in there also?

Thanks
--
Bil Kleb, Hampton, Virginia

Jamis Buck

On 05:40 Mon 07 Feb , Bil Kleb wrote:
> Jamis Buck wrote:
> >On 15:20 Sun 06 Feb, Bil Kleb wrote:
> >
> >With Hieraki, you just obtain an author account, and then you can
> >create new books. Each book has multiple chapters, and each chapter
> >has multiple "pages" (or sections)--you edit these all right in the
> >browser, in textile.
>
> Edit in the browser? Sounds painful. Is there an upload option?

No upload. But if you're using a mozilla browser, there's the mozex
plugin that lets you edit text areas in vim! :) (I dunno--maybe that
sounds even more painful to some people, but it's like paradise for
me.)

> It looks like you've got your figure markup in there also?

Yup. It's all integrated with Hieraki. Just do the following for your
code blocks:

{{{lang=ruby,number=true,caption=A clever quine
puts <<2*2,2
puts <<2*2,2
2
}}}

Hieraki will then use the Syntax engine to convert that code to HTML
using the appropriate highlighting.

> Thanks
> --
> Bil Kleb, Hampton, Virginia