Ruby, Windows, and PNG creation

Aaron Dalton

2/5/2005 5:28:00 PM

I am running Ruby in Windows (not via Cygwin.) How can I generate PNG
files (or GIF or JPG files for that matter) in my Ruby scripts? Ruby-GD
requires compilation, even if I have the native Windows GD dlls
available. I *could* run Ruby under Cygwin but I'm trying to avoid that
if possible. I am new to Ruby and am not sure where to dig. RAA didn't
turn up anything I could see.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Aaron
3 Answers

Stephan Kämper

Aaron Dalton wrote:
> I am running Ruby in Windows (not via Cygwin.) How can I generate PNG
> files (or GIF or JPG files for that matter) in my Ruby scripts? Ruby-GD
> requires compilation, even if I have the native Windows GD dlls
> available. I *could* run Ruby under Cygwin but I'm trying to avoid that
> if possible. I am new to Ruby and am not sure where to dig. RAA didn't
> turn up anything I could see.

You could, for example, dig for RMagick: http://rmagick.ruby...

When looking for Ruby stuff, libs app or whatever, rubyforge is a good
place to start looking. And the RAA is, too.

HTH
Happy rubying

Stephan

Aaron Dalton

Stephan Kämper wrote:
> Aaron Dalton wrote:
>
>> I am running Ruby in Windows (not via Cygwin.) How can I generate PNG
>> files (or GIF or JPG files for that matter) in my Ruby scripts?
>> Ruby-GD requires compilation, even if I have the native Windows GD
>> dlls available. I *could* run Ruby under Cygwin but I'm trying to
>> avoid that if possible. I am new to Ruby and am not sure where to
>> dig. RAA didn't turn up anything I could see.
>

> You could, for example, dig for RMagick: http://rmagick.ruby...
>
> When looking for Ruby stuff, libs app or whatever, rubyforge is a good
> place to start looking. And the RAA is, too.
>
> HTH
> Happy rubying
>
> Stephan

Oooo! I didn't know ImageMagick could draw too. Thanks for the tip.
It looks like it will work fine.

Thanks for your time!
Aaron

Tim Hunter

Aaron Dalton wrote:

> Oooo! I didn't know ImageMagick could draw too. Thanks for the tip.
> It looks like it will work fine.

Aaron, if you want to use RMagick for drawing, check out
http://rvg.rub.... It's an pure-Ruby add-on library for RMagick that
provides a higher-level drawing API. It's still alpha but very reliable and
I'm working on it almost every day. When it reaches 1.0.0 I'll make it part
of the RMagick package.