Re: [QUIZ] To Excel (#17

Graham Foster

2/1/2005 6:04:00 PM

> Years ago, on a job developing custom reporting software, this was
one of the
> side tasks. Parsing a report may sound boring, but I urge you to
at least
> download this report and peek inside. It's a tragic example of
database output
> gone wrong.

No responses yet???? Too difficult?? Pity - as a Newbie I was
interested to see how the experts handled this one.
Graham
14 Answers

Zach Dennis

Graham Foster wrote:

> No responses yet???? Too difficult?? Pity - as a Newbie I was
> interested to see how the experts handled this one.

Answers aren't posted until Sunday. Unless someone has a question or are
extremely excited about this they usually don't post before then.

Zach

Bill Guindon

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 03:13:00 +0900, Zach Dennis <zdennis@mktec.com> wrote:
> Graham Foster wrote:
> >
> > No responses yet???? Too difficult?? Pity - as a Newbie I was
> > interested to see how the experts handled this one.
>
> Answers aren't posted until Sunday. Unless someone has a question or are
> extremely excited about this they usually don't post before then.

Sunday was two days ago, this is from last Friday.

I started playing with it, but didn't have time to finish, and was
also looking forward to what others came up with.

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

Zach Dennis

Bill Guindon wrote:

> Sunday was two days ago, this is from last Friday.
>
> I started playing with it, but didn't have time to finish, and was
> also looking forward to what others came up with.

Boy how time flies...it's february already!! sheesh. Sorry Graham...my
bad, I didn't realize the date!

Zach

Bill Guindon

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 03:42:46 +0900, Zach Dennis <zdennis@mktec.com> wrote:

> Boy how time flies...it's february already!! sheesh. Sorry Graham...my
> bad, I didn't realize the date!

hehe, you don't want to know what year it is then ;)

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

Glenn Parker

Graham Foster wrote:

> No responses yet???? Too difficult??

It looked too much like real work. :)

--
Glenn Parker | glenn.parker-AT-comcast.net | <http://www.tetrafoi...

Zach Dennis

Bill Guindon wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 03:42:46 +0900, Zach Dennis <zdennis@mktec.com> wrote:
>

>>Boy how time flies...it's february already!! sheesh. Sorry Graham...my
>>bad, I didn't realize the date!
>

> hehe, you don't want to know what year it is then ;)

if i dont ask, you cant tell =)

Since I am just now seeing this I may attempt this using Ruby/JRuby/Java
combination. Any objections?!

Zach

James Gray

On Feb 1, 2005, at 12:49 PM, Glenn Parker wrote:

> Graham Foster wrote:
>> No responses yet???? Too difficult??
>
> It looked too much like real work. :)

I suspect this was my mistake. Should have disguised it better.

I find this kind of project interesting, but I'm a little too geeky to
be an unbiased judge.

In defense of the quiz, it can be done with rather little Ruby code.
It's requires more detective skills than anything else, I think.

James Edward Gray II

James Gray

On Feb 1, 2005, at 12:52 PM, Zach Dennis wrote:

> Since I am just now seeing this I may attempt this using
> Ruby/JRuby/Java combination. Any objections?!

I'll be disappointed if you DON'T do it.

James Edward Gray II

James Gray

On Feb 1, 2005, at 12:05 PM, Graham Foster wrote:

> No responses yet???? Too difficult??

It's not too difficult, in my opinion. We've done much harder.

> Pity - as a Newbie I was interested to see how the experts handled
> this one.

I think you should give it a shot. You might just surprise yourself
and if you get something in before I sit down to write the summary,
I'll make you famous! <laughs>

James Edward Gray II

Martin DeMello

James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2005, at 12:49 PM, Glenn Parker wrote:
>
> > Graham Foster wrote:
> >> No responses yet???? Too difficult??
> >
> > It looked too much like real work. :)
>
> I suspect this was my mistake. Should have disguised it better.
>
> I find this kind of project interesting, but I'm a little too geeky to
> be an unbiased judge.

I found it interesting too, I've just been swamped with *real* real work
:) Well take a shot at it before the week is through.

martin