Newbie: How to delete a Rails app (Windows

peter.cutting

2/1/2005 5:34:00 PM

Hi
Rails looks very neat but I need to delete some of my experiments

I know how to create an app:-

cd c:\rails
rails cookbook

but how do I delete? (If I just delete then I get a permissions
problem)

what about models controllers etc

Thanks alot

Peter

24 Answers

Jacek

peter.cutting@tetrapak.com wrote:

> Hi
> Rails looks very neat but I need to delete some of my experiments
>
> I know how to create an app:-
>
> cd c:\rails
> rails cookbook
>
> but how do I delete? (If I just delete then I get a permissions
> problem)
>
> what about models controllers etc
>
> Thanks alot
>
> Peter
What gems has to do with application. If you want to delete app
just do it and create another one. Am'I missing something ?
Jacek Balcerski

Douglas Livingstone

> but how do I delete? (If I just delete then I get a permissions
> problem)

If you are on XP and you can't delete a folder, it is probably XP
being buggy. It tends to not like you deleting folders you've just
looked inside... sometimes the esiest answer is to log off, then log
back in, then delete the folder. That's my experience anyway.

To delete just a controller, or just a model, you'll have to go into
your project directory and delete the files you don't want anymore
manually. I don't believe generate modifies any files in the
directory, it just creates new ones. Delete 'em :)

Douglas

peter.cutting

Today. there doesnt seem to be a problem.sorry.

Douglas Livingstone

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:35:48 +0900, peter.cutting@tetrapak.com
<peter.cutting@tetrapak.com> wrote:
> Today. there doesnt seem to be a problem.sorry.

That'll be because you turned your somputer off overnight - same
effect as logging on then off.

Douglas

Caio Tiago Oliveira

Douglas Livingstone, 2/2/2005 06:04:
>> but how do I delete? (If I just delete then I get a permissions
>> problem)
>
> If you are on XP and you can't delete a folder, it is probably XP
> being buggy. It tends to not like you deleting folders you've just
> looked inside... sometimes the esiest answer is to log off, then log
> back in, then delete the folder. That's my experience anyway.

The process may be running. XP don't let you delete something which is
loaded in the memory. So he have to close the process before
(Cntrl+Alt+Del, in the Process tab).

peter.cutting

yes the switching off may have helped (will try logging off next time
it happens). moving on

what process would that be. I would have thought that the only active
process would be the MySQL service. And of course any editors and or
command prompts I have open in the application directory. As far as I
can Ruby and Rails are not continually running processes.

Tanner Burson

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 23:25:49 +0900, peter.cutting@tetrapak.com
<peter.cutting@tetrapak.com> wrote:
> yes the switching off may have helped (will try logging off next time
> it happens). moving on
>
> what process would that be. I would have thought that the only active
> process would be the MySQL service. And of course any editors and or
> command prompts I have open in the application directory. As far as I
> can Ruby and Rails are not continually running processes.

Your webserver should also be running (which could also have the files
open, hence the permissions error).

Barry Sperling

Hello,
I'm trying to understand how to use the test/unit methods and I haven't
been able to learn them from:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?Usi...
http://www.rubyconf.com/2001/talks/testing...
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?R...

The first 2 are basically the same and don't work exactly the same on
my Win 2K machine. My output is different than the examples at every
stage, which is no big deal except at the end when the writer declares
victory with no bugs and my output still complains of errors. Can
someone point me to a (gentler/more complete) link that would take me
through the learning curve and, ideally, even work on Windows?
Thanks,
Barry

Douglas Livingstone

> > what process would that be.
>
> Your webserver should also be running (which could also have the files
> open, hence the permissions error).

It happens when the flder apperas empty too.

Thry this:
1. Create a new folder on the desktop
2. Right click, then "new-> bitmap image"
3. Right click on the image, select edit
4. Put something into the image, save it. Close you image editing program
5. Turn on thumbnail view
6. Try and delete the folder by draging it to the recycle bin, keeping
the view of the folder open (won't work)

Think that it is the image still in use?

7. Delete the image from the folder (will work)
9. Close the view of the folder
8. Folder is now "empty" but you still can't delete it.

Douglas

Douglas Livingstone

PS: tested on WinXP Pro SP2