Small and simple database?

Scott Rubin

2/1/2005 3:15:00 PM

Ok, I want to make a program that requires a database. But it only requires a
local database that can reside in a single file. It doesn't have to be
relational or anything. So just about every SQL database is overkill for this
application. I thought about something like berkdb and I found ruby-bdb, but it
is documented poorly and I can't figure out how to use it. I basically need a
flat record table which I can query. I would use csv, but that is actually
slightly underpowered.

Can someone make a good suggestion for a database to use and also point to
documentation on how to create ruby applications with that database? Thanks.
8 Answers

Zach Dennis

Scott Rubin wrote:
> Ok, I want to make a program that requires a database. But it only
> requires a local database that can reside in a single file. It doesn't
> have to be relational or anything. So just about every SQL database is
> overkill for this application. I thought about something like berkdb
> and I found ruby-bdb, but it is documented poorly and I can't figure out
> how to use it. I basically need a flat record table which I can query.
> I would use csv, but that is actually slightly underpowered.
>
> Can someone make a good suggestion for a database to use and also point
> to documentation on how to create ruby applications with that database?
> Thanks.

SQLite is pretty small and easy to use,

http://rubyforge.org/projects/sq...

http://www.s...

Zach

Edgardo Hames

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 00:20:45 +0900, Scott Rubin <slr2777@cs.rit.edu> wrote:
> Ok, I want to make a program that requires a database. But it only requires a
> local database that can reside in a single file. It doesn't have to be
> relational or anything. So just about every SQL database is overkill for this
> application. I thought about something like berkdb and I found ruby-bdb, but it
> is documented poorly and I can't figure out how to use it. I basically need a
> flat record table which I can query. I would use csv, but that is actually
> slightly underpowered.

You should probably consider XML or YAML. Would that suit your needs?

Kind Regards,
Ed
--
Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Jamey Cribbs

Scott Rubin wrote:

> Ok, I want to make a program that requires a database. But it only
> requires a local database that can reside in a single file. It
> doesn't have to be relational or anything. So just about every SQL
> database is overkill for this application. I thought about something
> like berkdb and I found ruby-bdb, but it is documented poorly and I
> can't figure out how to use it. I basically need a flat record table
> which I can query. I would use csv, but that is actually slightly
> underpowered.
>
> Can someone make a good suggestion for a database to use and also
> point to documentation on how to create ruby applications with that
> database? Thanks.

I have a DBMS called KirbyBase that might fit the bill. There is a
version written in Ruby and one in Python. I just updated the python
version and hope to get the ruby version updated soon.

If you do take a look at it, you will find the updated manual in the
python 1.7.1 version much improved over the manual in the ruby 1.6
version. Most of the python version manual will apply to the ruby version.

More info on KirbyBase is at:

http://www.netpromi.com/kirb...

Hope this helps.
Jamey Cribbs

Robert Klemme

"Scott Rubin" <slr2777@cs.rit.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Ok, I want to make a program that requires a database. But it only
requires a
> local database that can reside in a single file. It doesn't have to be
> relational or anything. So just about every SQL database is overkill
for this
> application. I thought about something like berkdb and I found
ruby-bdb, but it
> is documented poorly and I can't figure out how to use it. I basically
need a
> flat record table which I can query. I would use csv, but that is
actually
> slightly underpowered.
>
> Can someone make a good suggestion for a database to use and also point
> documentation on how to create ruby applications with that database?
Thanks.

If it fits into memory, you might use ( Hash OR Array OR
YourSelfCreatedContainer ) AND ( Marshal OR Yaml ). Alternatively you can
use rexml and get the query language for free (although it's not SQL but
XPath). PStore is another alternative.

Kind regards

robert

Hugh Sasse

Dick Davies

* Zach Dennis <zdennis@mktec.com> [0223 15:23]:
> Scott Rubin wrote:
> >Ok, I want to make a program that requires a database. But it only
> >requires a local database that can reside in a single file. It doesn't
> >have to be relational or anything. So just about every SQL database is
> >overkill for this application. I thought about something like berkdb
> >and I found ruby-bdb, but it is documented poorly and I can't figure out
> >how to use it. I basically need a flat record table which I can query.
> >I would use csv, but that is actually slightly underpowered.
> >
> >Can someone make a good suggestion for a database to use and also point
> >to documentation on how to create ruby applications with that database?
> >Thanks.
>
> SQLite is pretty small and easy to use,

+1, it's fast too.

(It's constraint checking is a bit rubbish, but then you didn't want
an RDBMS anyway, right?)

--
'When the door hits you in the ass on the way out, clean off the smudge
your ass leaves, please'

Richard Lyman

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 01:19:35 +0900, Dick Davies
<rasputnik@hellooperator.net> wrote:
> * Zach Dennis <zdennis@mktec.com> [0223 15:23]:
> > Scott Rubin wrote:
> > >Ok, I want to make a program that requires a database. But it only
> > >requires a local database that can reside in a single file. It doesn't
> > >have to be relational or anything. So just about every SQL database is
> > >overkill for this application. I thought about something like berkdb
> > >and I found ruby-bdb, but it is documented poorly and I can't figure out
> > >how to use it. I basically need a flat record table which I can query.
> > >I would use csv, but that is actually slightly underpowered.
> > >
> > >Can someone make a good suggestion for a database to use and also point
> > >to documentation on how to create ruby applications with that database?
> > >Thanks.
> >
> > SQLite is pretty small and easy to use,
>
> +1, it's fast too.

Amen to SQLite - I use it all the time for almost any type of local
data storage.

-Rich

Oliver Cromm

* Scott Rubin wrote:

> Can someone make a good suggestion for a database to use and also point to
> documentation on how to create ruby applications with that database? Thanks.

I find QDBM easy to use.
<http://qdbm.sourceforg...

Installation and example for use with Ruby:
<http://qdbm.sourceforge.net/rbspe...
--
Oliver C.
45n31, 73w34