ANN: eric3 snapshot released

Detlev Offenbach

I have just uploaded the first snapshot of the eric3 3.7 development. It
includes some bug fixes and these new functionality.

- support for Ruby files
- support for typed projects (type = progr. language)
- the beginning of a Ruby debug client (need some help here)
- the capability to set the environment of the debugger
- an extended diff for the subversion vcs with the capability to select
the revisions to be compared

It is available via http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/....

What is eric3
-------------
eric is an Integrated Development Environment. It is written in PyQt
using Python (please don't start a flame on me, develoment started over
two years ago). It includes everything one can expect from an IDE. See
above URL for more information.

With the a.m. snapshot I started to include Ruby support. It already
includes an editor with syntax highlighting and an interactive Ruby
shell. Due to the fact, that I am a Ruby newby, I need some help with
the debug client. Once this is working, I will add more functions for
Ruby like the ones that are already in for Python.

Please send feedback to my email address as well.

Regards,
Detlev
--
Detlev Offenbach
detlev@die-offenbachs.de

Curt Hibbs

Detlev Offenbach wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just uploaded the first snapshot of the eric3 3.7 development. It
> includes some bug fixes and these new functionality.
>
> - support for Ruby files
> - support for typed projects (type = progr. language)
> - the beginning of a Ruby debug client (need some help here)

You could look at the debugger in FreeRIDE (http://freeride.ruby...)
or, better yet, you could join the FreeRIDE project. It is an open source
IDE for Ruby that is written in Ruby.

Curt

> - the capability to set the environment of the debugger
> - an extended diff for the subversion vcs with the capability to select
> the revisions to be compared
>
> It is available via http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/....
>
> What is eric3
> -------------
> eric is an Integrated Development Environment. It is written in PyQt
> using Python (please don't start a flame on me, develoment started over
> two years ago). It includes everything one can expect from an IDE. See
> above URL for more information.
>
> With the a.m. snapshot I started to include Ruby support. It already
> includes an editor with syntax highlighting and an interactive Ruby
> shell. Due to the fact, that I am a Ruby newby, I need some help with
> the debug client. Once this is working, I will add more functions for
> Ruby like the ones that are already in for Python.
>
> Please send feedback to my email address as well.
>
> Regards,
> Detlev
> --
> Detlev Offenbach
> detlev@die-offenbachs.de

Richard Dale

Curt Hibbs wrote:

> Detlev Offenbach wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just uploaded the first snapshot of the eric3 3.7 development. It
>> includes some bug fixes and these new functionality.
>>
>> - support for Ruby files
>> - support for typed projects (type = progr. language)
>> - the beginning of a Ruby debug client (need some help here)
>
> You could look at the debugger in FreeRIDE
> (http://freeride.ruby...) or, better yet, you could join the
> FreeRIDE project. It is an open source IDE for Ruby that is written in
> Ruby.
Yes, that was my starting point for the KDevelop ruby debugger - thanks
FreeRIDE guys!

I'd love to add a python debugger to KDevelop, maybe based on the Eric one.
So I'm happy to help out with Eric, if I can contribute any interesting
ideas/code from the ruby KDevelop debugger. In return maybe KDevelop can
coopt some of Eric's python debugger stuff in a GPL 'lovefest'..

-- Richard

mepython

Thanks Detlev. This is one of the best IDE I have ever used. similar to
pyqt, ruby has qtruby and both of them rocks.

Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just uploaded the first snapshot of the eric3 3.7 development.
It
> includes some bug fixes and these new functionality.
>
> - support for Ruby files
> - support for typed projects (type = progr. language)
> - the beginning of a Ruby debug client (need some help here)
> - the capability to set the environment of the debugger
> - an extended diff for the subversion vcs with the capability to
select
> the revisions to be compared
>
> It is available via http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/....
>
> What is eric3
> -------------
> eric is an Integrated Development Environment. It is written in PyQt
> using Python (please don't start a flame on me, develoment started
over
> two years ago). It includes everything one can expect from an IDE.
See
> above URL for more information.
>
> With the a.m. snapshot I started to include Ruby support. It already
> includes an editor with syntax highlighting and an interactive Ruby
> shell. Due to the fact, that I am a Ruby newby, I need some help with
> the debug client. Once this is working, I will add more functions for
> Ruby like the ones that are already in for Python.
>
> Please send feedback to my email address as well.
>
> Regards,
> Detlev
> --
> Detlev Offenbach
> detlev@die-offenbachs.de

Detlev Offenbach

mepython wrote:

> Thanks Detlev. This is one of the best IDE I have ever used. similar to
> pyqt, ruby has qtruby and both of them rocks.

And I would like to make it even better by giving it Ruby support to the
most possible extend. Currently I am struggling to get the debugger
working, but got some new ideas.

--
Detlev Offenbach
detlev@die-offenbachs.de