A number of packages are being missed by rubygems

Lloyd Zusman

1/29/2005 11:03:00 PM

I'm trying to download packages via rubygems, but only a subset of the
packages that are available on the rubygems site are showing up when I
do queries.

The list at the bottom of this message is what I get when I issue the
"gem query --remote" command. However, if I go directly to the
"http://gems.rubyforge.org/g... site, there are a number of other
packages listed which don't show up when I do the query.

I also see all those other packages when I look in the yaml index
at "http://gems.rubyforge.org/....

Does anyone know why my version of rubygems would be ignoring some of
the packages that are listed on the site? For example, the "wee"
package doesn't show up in the listing below, although it does appear on
the site and in the yaml file, and other people seem to be able to see
it and download it via the rubygems system.

Thanks in advance.

Here's what I did:

# gem --version
0.8.4
# gem query --remote

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

cgikit (1.1.0)
CGIKit is a componented-oriented web application framework like
Apple Computers WebObjects. This framework services
Model-View-Controller architecture programming by components based
on a HTML file, a definition file and a Ruby source.

copland (0.8.0, 0.1.0)
Copland is an "Inversion of Control" (IoC, also called "Dependency
Injection") container for Ruby, based heavily on the HiveMind
container for Java. It supports both type-2 (setter) and type-3
(constructor) injection.

coverage (0.1)
identifies inactive code

dbdbd (0.2.2)
dbdbd (David Black's Database Definer) -- for ad hoc flat-file
database formats

iterator (0.5)
bidirectional external iterators

jabber4r (0.7.0)
Jabber4r is a pure-Ruby Jabber client library

lafcadio (0.3.4)
Lafcadio is an object-relational mapping layer

Linguistics (1.0.2)
This is a generic, language-neutral framework for extending Ruby
objects with linguistic methods.

log4r (1.0.5)
Log4r is a comprehensive and flexible logging library for Ruby.

net-ssh (0.1.0)
Net::SSH is a pure-Ruby implementation of the SSH2 client protocol.

Ook (1.0.2)
A Ruby interpreter for the Ook!
(www.dangermouse.net/esoteric/ook.html) and BrainF*ck
(www.catseye.mb.ca/esoteric/bf/index.html) programming languages.

progressbar (0.0.3)
Ruby/ProgressBar is a text progress bar library for Ruby. It can
indicate progress with percentage, a progress bar, and estimated
remaining time.

RedCloth (2.0.2)
RedCloth is a module for using Textile in Ruby. Textile is a text
format. A very simple text format. Another stab at making readable
text that can be converted to HTML.

rublog (0.8.0)
RubLog is a simple web log, based around the idea of displaying a
set of regular files in a log-format.

RubyJDWP (0.0.1)
Ruby implementation of the Java Debug Wire Protocol. This version is
pre-alpha.

sqlite (1.1.3)
SQLite/Ruby is a module to allow Ruby scripts to interface with a
SQLite database

statistics (2001.2.28)
module Math::Statistics provides common statistical functions
#

--
Lloyd Zusman
ljz@asfast.com

3 Answers

Jim Weirich

On Saturday 29 January 2005 06:02 pm, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
> I'm trying to download packages via rubygems, but only a subset of the
> packages that are available on the rubygems site are showing up when I
> do queries.

How odd. When I do
gem query --remote | egrep '^[^ ]' | wc -l
I get an answer of 182.

Try this command: gem env remote
You should get http://gems.rub... as a response. This will tell us if
you are attempting to get the gems from the correct source.

--
-- Jim Weirich jim@weirichhouse.org http://onest...

Lloyd Zusman

Jim Weirich <jim@weirichhouse.org> writes:

> On Saturday 29 January 2005 06:02 pm, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
>> I'm trying to download packages via rubygems, but only a subset of the
>> packages that are available on the rubygems site are showing up when I
>> do queries.
>
> How odd. When I do
> gem query --remote | egrep '^[^ ]' | wc -l
> I get an answer of 182.

Thanks for all your help.

Here's what I get:

# gem query --remote | egrep '^[^ ]' | wc -l
20

> Try this command: gem env remote
> You should get http://gems.rub... as a response. This will
> tell us if you are attempting to get the gems from the correct source.

# gem env remote
http://gems.rub...

By the way, could this be making a difference? ...

# ruby --version
ruby 1.9.0 (2004-08-03) [i386-freebsd4.0]

Later tonight or tomorrow I'll try to upgrade ruby from the latest
cvs source, and see if I get any better results.

... or should I stick with the latest 1.8.x instead of 1.9?

--
Lloyd Zusman
ljz@asfast.com

Lloyd Zusman

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Jim Weirich <jim@weirichhouse.org> writes:
>
>> On Saturday 29 January 2005 06:02 pm, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
>>> I'm trying to download packages via rubygems, but only a subset of the
>>> packages that are available on the rubygems site are showing up when I
>>> do queries.
>>
>> [ ... ]
>
> By the way, could this be making a difference? ...
>
> # ruby --version
> ruby 1.9.0 (2004-08-03) [i386-freebsd4.0]
>
> Later tonight or tomorrow I'll try to upgrade ruby from the latest
> cvs source, and see if I get any better results.

I upgraded ruby, and now everything works:

# ruby --version
ruby 1.9.0 (2005-01-29) [i386-freebsd4.0]
# gem install wee
Attempting local installation of 'wee'
Local gem file not found: wee*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'wee'
Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rub...
Successfully installed wee, version 0.5.0
Installing RDoc documentation for wee-0.5.0...
WARNING: Generating RDoc on .gem that may not have RDoc.

So, all's well that ends well.

Thanks again.

--
Lloyd Zusman