Current state of Ruby i18n?

James Britt

1/29/2005 9:17:00 PM

What's the current state of i18n in Ruby?

If I wanted to build a Web site that offered content in multiple
languages for people in various Asian countries could Ruby handle the task?

Is there anything that documents this (i.e., explains the gory details
and gives examples)?

Thanks,

James

2 Answers

Eric Hodel

On 29 Jan 2005, at 13:17, James Britt wrote:

> What's the current state of i18n in Ruby?
>
> If I wanted to build a Web site that offered content in multiple
> languages for people in various Asian countries could Ruby handle the
> task?
>
> Is there anything that documents this (i.e., explains the gory details
> and gives examples)?

You'll want to:

$KCODE = 'u'
require 'jcode'

To make string functions multibyte-capable.

Be sure your data store handles UTF-8, and you set the right
content-encoding for your pages.

We've got all kinds of (user entered) multibyte strings on 43 Things,
but haven't yet translated any of our internals.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://se...
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

James Britt

Eric Hodel wrote:
> On 29 Jan 2005, at 13:17, James Britt wrote:
>
>> What's the current state of i18n in Ruby?
>>
>> If I wanted to build a Web site that offered content in multiple
>> languages for people in various Asian countries could Ruby handle the
>> task?
>>
>> Is there anything that documents this (i.e., explains the gory details
>> and gives examples)?
>

> You'll want to:
>
> $KCODE = 'u'
> require 'jcode'
>
> To make string functions multibyte-capable.
>
> Be sure your data store handles UTF-8, and you set the right
> content-encoding for your pages.
>
> We've got all kinds of (user entered) multibyte strings on 43 Things,
> but haven't yet translated any of our internals.

Thanks!

James