Jason Pon

11/4/2002 7:26:00 AM

Hi

I need to write a FTP util that logs onto an ftp site every specified
interval and checks for files. Can someone point me in the right direction
please?? I dont know what to use. Will be using C# preferably.

Jason

5 Answers

(Zane Thomas [.NET MVP])

"Jason Pon" <jason@peresys.co.za> wrote:

>I need to write a FTP util that logs onto an ftp site every specified
>interval and checks for files. Can someone point me in the right direction
>please?? I dont know what to use.

FTP for .NET, which I wrote, will work fine for such an application. You can
download a free trial version from www.abderaware.com.

--
*--------={ Fine Art for .NET }=--------*
| The Best Internet Components for .NET |

Arjang

check out:
http://www.csharphelp.com/archives2/archi...
NEXFTP is a simple and robust FTP client

"Jason Pon" <jason@peresys.co.za> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I need to write a FTP util that logs onto an ftp site every specified
> interval and checks for files. Can someone point me in the right direction
> please?? I dont know what to use. Will be using C# preferably.
>
> Jason

Arjang

also have a look at :
http://www.csharphelp.com/archives/arc...
This is the C# version of an FTP client library which is originally written
in Java. The library will be compiled to a DLL file. A test program is also
included to show the usage of this library. You will get more details about
FTP from its rfc. Most of the commands are supported here. File upload &
download methods are capable enough of doing resuming also.

"Arjang" <nospam@here.please> wrote in message
> check out:
> http://www.csharphelp.com/archives2/archi...
> NEXFTP is a simple and robust FTP client
>
> "Jason Pon" <jason@peresys.co.za> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I need to write a FTP util that logs onto an ftp site every specified
> > interval and checks for files. Can someone point me in the right
direction
> > please?? I dont know what to use. Will be using C# preferably.
> >
> > Jason

msnews.microsoft.com

C'mon guys, stop pointing to some commercial software.
All you need is simple WSH script which calls command line ftp.exe with
specified parameters.
Look for help on ftp in Windows and you'd find that ftp coming with Windows
would do pretty much everything you need for you (at least basic stuff).

Here is part of help file. Look a -s switch specifically.
Transfers files to and from a computer running a File Transfer Protocol
(FTP) server service such as Internet Information Services. Ftp can be used
interactively or in batch mode by processing ASCII text files.

Syntax
ftp [-v] [-d] [-i] [-n] [-g] [-s:FileName] [-a] [-w:WindowSize] [-A] [Host]

Parameters
-v
Suppresses the display of FTP server responses.
-d
Enables debugging, displaying all commands passed between the FTP client
and FTP server.
-i
Disables interactive prompting during multiple file transfers.
-n
Suppresses the ability to log on automatically when the initial connection
is made.
-g
Disables file name globbing. Glob permits the use of the asterisk (*) and
question mark (?) as wildcard characters in local file and path names. For
more information, see Ftp: Glob.
-s:FileName
Specifies a text file that contains ftp commands. These commands run
automatically after ftp starts. This parameter allows no spaces. Use this
parameter instead of redirection (<).
-a
Specifies that any local interface can be used when binding the FTP data
connection.
-w:WindowSize
Specifies the size of the transfer buffer. The default window size is 4096
bytes.
-A
Logs onto the FTP server as anonymous.
Host
Specifies the computer name, IP address, or IPv6 address of the FTP server
to which to connect. The host name or address, if specified, must be the
last parameter on the line.
/?
Displays help at the command prompt.

"Jason Pon" <jason@peresys.co.za> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I need to write a FTP util that logs onto an ftp site every specified
> interval and checks for files. Can someone point me in the right direction
> please?? I dont know what to use. Will be using C# preferably.
>
> Jason

Arjang

Hmm cool hint, could you also point me in the direction
to find other things that are already there like ftp.exe that you mentioned,
i now there are a lot of exe's sitting in system32 directory that could be
used but didnt know where to
look for their explenation or even how to use them,
Thank you