microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

Failed to register assembly

TJoker.net

11/1/2002 10:47:00 PM

I've seen another thread about this topic and my situation is a little
different.
I already have a GAC-ed assembly that is registered with COM+ and now I'm
installing version 2 of this assembly and creating a redirection policy.
Old version: MyAssembly, Version 1.1.0.0
New version: MyAssembly, Version 1.2.0.0
Assembly binding policy: oldVersion="1.1.0.0" newVersion="1.2.0.0"

After that I get this error when ASP.NET tries to use this new assembly.
Looks like COM+ is not being able to find the new assembly but the
redirection seems OK.
Shouldn't COM+ look for version 1.1.0.0 and receive 1.2.0.0 automatically ?

Thanks

TJoker, MCSD
Chicago-based .NET developer
mailto:sergio_pereira@msn.com

Brian Grunkemeyer [MS]

Did you place the 1.2.0.0 assembly in the GAC as well? Did you use the same
strong name for the 1.2.0.0 assembly that you used for the 1.1.0.0 assembly?

Tim

"TJoker.net" <ignore> wrote in message news:#1LUeAfgCHA.1652@tkmsftngp09...
> I've seen another thread about this topic and my situation is a little
> different.
> I already have a GAC-ed assembly that is registered with COM+ and now I'm
> installing version 2 of this assembly and creating a redirection policy.
> Old version: MyAssembly, Version 1.1.0.0
> New version: MyAssembly, Version 1.2.0.0
> Assembly binding policy: oldVersion="1.1.0.0" newVersion="1.2.0.0"
>
> After that I get this error when ASP.NET tries to use this new assembly.
> Looks like COM+ is not being able to find the new assembly but the
> redirection seems OK.
> Shouldn't COM+ look for version 1.1.0.0 and receive 1.2.0.0 automatically
?

> Thanks

> TJoker, MCSD
> Chicago-based .NET developer
> mailto:sergio_pereira@msn.com

TJoker.net

I did it.
The strong name cannot be the same because the versions are different, but I
used the same assembly name, same culture and same publick key.
I had to mannualy run regsvcs.exe to register the new version.

"Tim Kurtzman [MS]" <Microsoft_clr@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Did you place the 1.2.0.0 assembly in the GAC as well? Did you use the
same
> strong name for the 1.2.0.0 assembly that you used for the 1.1.0.0
assembly?

> Tim
>
> "TJoker.net" <ignore> wrote in message
> > I've seen another thread about this topic and my situation is a little
> > different.
> > I already have a GAC-ed assembly that is registered with COM+ and now
I'm
> > installing version 2 of this assembly and creating a redirection policy.
> > Old version: MyAssembly, Version 1.1.0.0
> > New version: MyAssembly, Version 1.2.0.0
> > Assembly binding policy: oldVersion="1.1.0.0" newVersion="1.2.0.0"
> >
> > After that I get this error when ASP.NET tries to use this new assembly.
> > Looks like COM+ is not being able to find the new assembly but the
> > redirection seems OK.
> > Shouldn't COM+ look for version 1.1.0.0 and receive 1.2.0.0
automatically
> ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > --
> > TJoker, MCSD
> > Chicago-based .NET developer
> > mailto:sergio_pereira@msn.com

Manish Godse [MS]

Is your COM+ component hosted in a server application (dllhost)?
How are you setting your redirection policy? Using publisher policy? On the
application (app config file)? On the machine (machine.config)?

Stefan

purposes only.

This posting is provided \"AS IS\" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

"TJoker.net" <ignore> wrote in message news:#79pllZiCHA.1784@tkmsftngp09...
> I did it.
> The strong name cannot be the same because the versions are different, but
> used the same assembly name, same culture and same publick key.
> I had to mannualy run regsvcs.exe to register the new version.

> TJoker, MCSD
> Chicago-based .NET developer
> mailto:sergio_pereira@msn.com
>

> "Tim Kurtzman [MS]" <Microsoft_clr@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Did you place the 1.2.0.0 assembly in the GAC as well? Did you use the
> same
> > strong name for the 1.2.0.0 assembly that you used for the 1.1.0.0
> assembly?
> >
> > Tim
> >
> > "TJoker.net" <ignore> wrote in message
> > > I've seen another thread about this topic and my situation is a little
> > > different.
> > > I already have a GAC-ed assembly that is registered with COM+ and now
> I'm
> > > installing version 2 of this assembly and creating a redirection
policy.
> > > Old version: MyAssembly, Version 1.1.0.0
> > > New version: MyAssembly, Version 1.2.0.0
> > > Assembly binding policy: oldVersion="1.1.0.0" newVersion="1.2.0.0"
> > >
> > > After that I get this error when ASP.NET tries to use this new
assembly.
> > > Looks like COM+ is not being able to find the new assembly but the
> > > redirection seems OK.
> > > Shouldn't COM+ look for version 1.1.0.0 and receive 1.2.0.0
> automatically
> > ?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > > --
> > > TJoker, MCSD
> > > Chicago-based .NET developer
> > > mailto:sergio_pereira@msn.com

TJoker.net

The COM+ application runs in dllhost. I'm redirecting using the
machine.config file because of another issue when trying to use the
publisher's policy file( see posting
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&th=2e9...
f8&rnum=1 with the title "Problems with publisher policy file")

Thanks for your interest

TJ

"Stefan Batres [MS]" <xwscom3@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is your COM+ component hosted in a server application (dllhost)?
> How are you setting your redirection policy? Using publisher policy? On
the
> application (app config file)? On the machine (machine.config)?
>
> Stefan
>
> --
> Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup
> purposes only.
>
> This posting is provided \"AS IS\" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
>
> "TJoker.net" <ignore> wrote in message
> > I did it.
> > The strong name cannot be the same because the versions are different,
but
> > used the same assembly name, same culture and same publick key.
> > I had to mannualy run regsvcs.exe to register the new version.
> >

> > --
> > TJoker, MCSD
> > Chicago-based .NET developer
> > mailto:sergio_pereira@msn.com
> >

> > "Tim Kurtzman [MS]" <Microsoft_clr@online.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > > Did you place the 1.2.0.0 assembly in the GAC as well? Did you use the
> > same
> > > strong name for the 1.2.0.0 assembly that you used for the 1.1.0.0
> > assembly?
> > >
> > > Tim
> > >
> > > "TJoker.net" <ignore> wrote in message
> > I'm
> policy.

> assembly.
> > automatically
> > > ?

Manish Godse [MS]

Sorry, one more question: Did you change the clsid (guid) on the new
component? Or do you not specify it at all?

"TJoker.net" <ignore> wrote in message news:OtXddV#iCHA.1280@tkmsftngp12...
> The COM+ application runs in dllhost. I'm redirecting using the
> machine.config file because of another issue when trying to use the
> publisher's policy file( see posting

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&th=2e9...
> f8&rnum=1 with the title "Problems with publisher policy file")
>
> Thanks for your interest
>
> TJ

> TJoker, MCSD
> Chicago-based .NET developer
> mailto:sergio_pereira@msn.com
>

> "Stefan Batres [MS]" <xwscom3@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is your COM+ component hosted in a server application (dllhost)?
> > How are you setting your redirection policy? Using publisher policy? On
> the
> > application (app config file)? On the machine (machine.config)?
> >
> > Stefan
> >
> > --
> > Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
> newsgroup
> > purposes only.
> >
> > This posting is provided \"AS IS\" with no warranties, and confers no
> > rights.
> >
> > "TJoker.net" <ignore> wrote in message
> > > I did it.
> > > The strong name cannot be the same because the versions are different,
> but
> > > used the same assembly name, same culture and same publick key.
> > > I had to mannualy run regsvcs.exe to register the new version.
> > >

> > > --
> > > TJoker, MCSD
> > > Chicago-based .NET developer
> > > mailto:sergio_pereira@msn.com
> > >

> > > "Tim Kurtzman [MS]" <Microsoft_clr@online.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > > same
> > > assembly?

> little
> now
> > > I'm
> > policy.

> > assembly.
> > > automatically

TJoker.net

I did not specify. No CLSID attributes anywhere for this assembly.
Could that be the issue? Initially we were not planning on registering the
assemby with com+ or any com-interop, so we did not specify the guids before
the first release.