microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

Seemingly arbitary limitation in C# compiler, csc.exe

Justin Kim

10/10/2002 2:07:00 AM

There seems to be a seemingly arbitary limitation in C#
compiler, namely, the limit of a single line of source
code being 2046 characters. (Compiler error CS1034)

In usual circumstances no one would be interested in
writing a 2046 characters long line, but my program is a
code generator that produces code that will not be ever
consumed by a human being in its source form. This
behavior of the compiler leaves me with no other option
but to put in an arbitary behavior in my program too!

Does anyone in MS have an explanation for this error? or
any future plan to change this behavior?

Thanx.