Data Adapter Config Wizard in VS.NET for ODBC?

random

10/8/2002 7:18:00 PM

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but is there no wizard to help build the
ODBC data adapter like the SQL and OLE DB adapters?

Has anyone used this functionality?

Thanks

4 Answers

(Hussein Abuthuraya(MSFT))

None of the Visual tools of the VS.NET IDE such as the DataAdapter Wizard supports the ODBC.NET Data Provider in the current VS.NET version. It will be integrated in the
next version.

Thanks,
Hussein Abuthuraya
Microsoft Developer Support

Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
http://www.microsoft.co....

Jamin Mace

Yes Hussein is correct,

However, if you use the oledb data adapter and simply select the ODBC driver
you can successfully build a connection string that can be cut and pasted
into your code. The wizard really isn't useful for much else. So you would
simply cut the string and set dataadapter.connection.connectionstring = the
pasted code. You must of course then manually set all of the other
properties such as the select command, update command, etc.

Jamin

"Hussein Abuthuraya(MSFT)" <HussAbOnline@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> None of the Visual tools of the VS.NET IDE such as the DataAdapter Wizard
supports the ODBC.NET Data Provider in the current VS.NET version. It will
be integrated in the
> next version.
>

> Thanks,
> Hussein Abuthuraya
> Microsoft Developer Support

rights.

> Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology
> http://www.microsoft.co....

Jamin Mace

oops forgot another great way to build your connection is to write click on
your desktop, create a new text document, open the text document and save it
as a .UDL file instead of a .TXT, then click on the new UDL file, now select
use connection string and click build to build your connection. Then cut
and past the resulting string to your code. This is a quick and easy way to
build the connection string.

Jamin
"Jamin Mace" <jmace@dolaninfo.com> wrote in message
> Yes Hussein is correct,
>
> However, if you use the oledb data adapter and simply select the ODBC
driver
> you can successfully build a connection string that can be cut and pasted
> into your code. The wizard really isn't useful for much else. So you
would
> simply cut the string and set dataadapter.connection.connectionstring =
the
> pasted code. You must of course then manually set all of the other
> properties such as the select command, update command, etc.
>
> Jamin
>
> "Hussein Abuthuraya(MSFT)" <HussAbOnline@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > None of the Visual tools of the VS.NET IDE such as the DataAdapter
Wizard
> supports the ODBC.NET Data Provider in the current VS.NET version. It
will
> be integrated in the
> > next version.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Hussein Abuthuraya
> > Microsoft Developer Support

> rights.
> >
> > Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology
> Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
> > http://www.microsoft.co....

Max Chernyshov

Did you try DbToXml:
http://www.soft-r-us.com/d...

It does that any many other nice things as well