microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

I can't install the SDK!

CatMan

9/25/2002 5:42:00 AM

I run the setup.exe and the installer stops responding while gathering
information.

Do I need to change any settings. I couldn't find the info in the knowledge
base.

WinXP (SP1)
AMDXP 1900+
512MB RAM
60GB HD (40GB Free)

Thanks!
Carlos

7 Answers

CatMan

I also get a dialog box statting that setup has failed on some attempts to
install.

Carlos

"CatMan" <elgato@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I run the setup.exe and the installer stops responding while gathering
> information.
>
> Do I need to change any settings. I couldn't find the info in the
knowledge
> base.
>
> WinXP (SP1)
> AMDXP 1900+
> 512MB RAM
> 60GB HD (40GB Free)
>

> Thanks!
> Carlos

(Felix Wu [MS])

Hi CatMan,

What does the exact error message look like? Try to check the setup log
files to see if there are any problems?

Before installation, please close all the running applications and disalbe
virus firewall softwares if any.

Regards,

Felix Wu
=============

--------------------
>From: "CatMan" <elgato@hotmail.com>
>Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk,microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk.
setup
>Subject: Re: I can't install the SDK!
>Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 03:54:52 GMT
>
>I also get a dialog box statting that setup has failed on some attempts to
>install.
>
>Carlos
>
>"CatMan" <elgato@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I run the setup.exe and the installer stops responding while gathering
>> information.
>>
>> Do I need to change any settings. I couldn't find the info in the
>knowledge
>> base.
>>
>> WinXP (SP1)
>> AMDXP 1900+
>> 512MB RAM
>> 60GB HD (40GB Free)
>>

>> Thanks!
>> Carlos

Darrell

I have the same problem. The error message is:
Cannot find D:\Program Files\Commom Files\Microsoft
Shared\VS7Debug\1033\mdmui.dll
When I explorer the CD-ROM, that file *is* there.

confers no rights.

>--------------------
>>From: "CatMan" <elgato@hotmail.com>
>>Newsgroups:
>microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk,microsoft.public.dot
net.framework.sdk.
>setup
>>Subject: Re: I can't install the SDK!
>>Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 03:54:52 GMT
>>
>>I also get a dialog box statting that setup has failed
on some attempts to
>>install.
>>
>>Carlos
>>
>>"CatMan" <elgato@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I run the setup.exe and the installer stops responding
while gathering
>>> information.
>>>
>>> Do I need to change any settings. I couldn't find the
info in the
>>knowledge
>>> base.
>>>
>>> WinXP (SP1)
>>> AMDXP 1900+
>>> 512MB RAM
>>> 60GB HD (40GB Free)
>>>

>>> Thanks!
>>> Carlos
>>>

>.

(Felix Wu [MS])

Hi Darrell,

I'm guessing that this might be caused by either bad media or a problem
reading from the CD or DVD ROM drive. If this is the case, you can try the
methods described in the following KB article to workaround this problem:

HOW TO: Create a Network Installation Point for Visual Studio .NET Setup
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q30...

For more information about the problems in the Setup, you can take a look
at the following articles:

This article explains the overall general problem
Q318945 - BUG: VS .NET and MSDN Files Corrupted During Install
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q31...

This article explains how to use xcopy to work around the problem listed in
the above article.
Q307372 - HOW TO: Create a Network Installation Point for VS .NET
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q30...

If you determine that you have bad media.
Q284230 - INFO: Replacing Damaged or Defective Visual Studio Product Disks
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q28...

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Felix Wu
=============

--------------------
>From: "Darrell" <dlittle@cfw.com>
>Sender: "Darrell" <dlittle@cfw.com>
>Subject: Re: I can't install the SDK!
>Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 04:20:29 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk
>
>I have the same problem. The error message is:
>Cannot find D:\Program Files\Commom Files\Microsoft
>Shared\VS7Debug\1033\mdmui.dll
>When I explorer the CD-ROM, that file *is* there.

John George

I am having the same problem--
I have tried the fix in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us...
and it gets to the "please wait....
and hangs
Any other suggestions?, thanks in advance
JHG
"Felix Wu [MS]" <felixwu@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Darrell,
>
> I'm guessing that this might be caused by either bad media or a problem
> reading from the CD or DVD ROM drive. If this is the case, you can try the
> methods described in the following KB article to workaround this problem:
>
> HOW TO: Create a Network Installation Point for Visual Studio .NET Setup
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q30...
>
> For more information about the problems in the Setup, you can take a look
> at the following articles:
>
> This article explains the overall general problem
> Q318945 - BUG: VS .NET and MSDN Files Corrupted During Install
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q31...
>
> This article explains how to use xcopy to work around the problem listed
in
> the above article.
> Q307372 - HOW TO: Create a Network Installation Point for VS .NET
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q30...
>
> If you determine that you have bad media.
> Q284230 - INFO: Replacing Damaged or Defective Visual Studio Product Disks
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q28...
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
>
> Felix Wu
> =============
rights.

> --------------------
> >From: "Darrell" <dlittle@cfw.com>
> >Sender: "Darrell" <dlittle@cfw.com>
> >Subject: Re: I can't install the SDK!
> >Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 04:20:29 -0700
> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk
> >
> >I have the same problem. The error message is:
> >Cannot find D:\Program Files\Commom Files\Microsoft
> >Shared\VS7Debug\1033\mdmui.dll
> >When I explorer the CD-ROM, that file *is* there.

Jonathan Wilson

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 04:20:29 -0700, "Darrell" <dlittle@cfw.com> wrote:

>I have the same problem. The error message is:
>Cannot find D:\Program Files\Commom Files\Microsoft
>Shared\VS7Debug\1033\mdmui.dll
>When I explorer the CD-ROM, that file *is* there.

Its a real long shot, but I and 2 others I know have had problems
installing some MS applications (most noteably win2K) where they fail
to read a cd, and/or say a file is damaged/corrupt... all 3 times have
been tracked to bad/failing memory chips, once replaced the installs
have been fine.

(we proved it was the chip in one case by re-inserting the removed
memory chip and the same error returned, so it wasnt delving in the pc
"moved something")

Jonathan Wilson,
AS/400 Consultant. (UK)
+44 (0)115 9192648
ASP/ASPX/.Net coder

Robert Villahermosa [MS]

Hmm, that happened to me at one point as well, but it too turned out to be a
hardware problem.

If you have a decent connection, you can always download the SDK directly
from MS, the link is below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/code/sample.a...
dn-files/027/000/976/msdncompositedoc.xml

Hope this helps you,

--
Robert Villahermosa [MS]