unexpected multiple connections

Paul

After my asp.net page fails and aspnet_wp.exe recycles
because it waited for so long for my Sybase db to return a
resultset and thinks that there must be a thread deadlock,
I would refresh the page. To my surprise, the new submit
causes multiple connections to the db, usually between 4
and 6 simultaneous connections. Is this a bug with the
odbc.net or asp.net? Has anyone seen this happening in
their system?

Paul
2 Answers

(Hussein Abuthuraya(MSFT))

Paul,

What you are seeing is caused by "Connection pooling". The ODBC .NET Data Provider (as well as all other providers) has Connection pooling turned on by Default.

To turn off this feature, just add Pooling=False in the connection string and no connection pooling will be utilized. However, you should know and understand that "Connection
Pooling" is recommended ( or we can say a must) for web applications. New users don't have to wait for opening a connection, instead just grab one from the pool and use
it. When finished just call Close and it will go back to the Pool waiting there for another request.

You can read more about Connection pooling in the Framework documentation.

Thanks,
Hussein Abuthuraya
Microsoft Developer Support

Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
http://www.microsoft.co....

Ravichandran J.V.

I was going to suggest a mysterious Thread Loop that may cause Deadlock
but since you have already checked for a Deadlock, I think it must be
something typical in your code which is causing the Thread to loop back.
Please do post code.

with regards,

J.V.Ravichandran

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.develop... ***