Djindo LEE

I was wondering if anyone of you has implemented any barcode scanning
application on a pocket pc using the.net compact framework. And if so how to
approach it.
thanks for the help,

Djindo

1 Answer

(Craig)

I do barcode scanning on WinCE. Basically barcode scanning is not anything
too involved.

First, you need to decide if you need to control the scanner yourself (from
the program). Do you want to turn it on/off for certain fields, etc., turn
it off when app is exited, do some involved handling of a barcode, etc. If
you do, then the hardware manufacturer will provide a library/SDK to use in
your code to do so. And sometimes the language it's written in affects your
decision, though usually you can work with C++ libraries, etc.

If you don't care about controlling the scanner, just getting the data
scanned, most hardware/platforms have a wedge program that you can run in
the background (on startup of the handheld) that when running, will populate
the current focus field in whatever desktop app is running with the scanned
input. Usually these programs only provide a little customization
(AutoEnter, AutoTab, etc.) and not much in customized data handling.

So those are the two paths you can follow. The first is more involved and
less flexible than the second. But most of my projects have used the
latter.

Didn't exactly answer your exact question, but thought it could help...

Craig