Seeking RedCloth#to_pdf advice

Bil Kleb

1/25/2005 9:43:00 PM

I'm still pining for PDF output from RedCloth and
am seeking advice:

David Black has an experimental to_docbook in RedCloth CVS

Instiki has to_latex in it's RedCloth

I like the idea of going directly to LaTeX so that I
can embed (La)TeX mathematics somehow.

Is there another route I should be investigating to get
both HTML and PDF output from my Textile markup?

Thanks as always,
--
Bil Kleb, Hampton, Virginia
http://fun3d.lar... <- thanks to Jamis and Why

Alexey Verkhovsky

Bil Kleb wrote:

> I'm still pining for PDF output from RedCloth and
> am seeking advice:

Will Ware posted some script at
http://www.instiki.org/show/Insti..., that may be of interest to you.

--
Best regards,

Alexey Verkhovsky

Ruby Forum: http://ruby... (moderator)
RForum: http://rforum.and... (co-author)
Instiki: http://i... (maintainer)

James Britt

Bil Kleb wrote:
> I'm still pining for PDF output from RedCloth and
> am seeking advice:
>
> David Black has an experimental to_docbook in RedCloth CVS
>
> Instiki has to_latex in it's RedCloth
>
> I like the idea of going directly to LaTeX so that I
> can embed (La)TeX mathematics somehow.
>
> Is there another route I should be investigating to get
> both HTML and PDF output from my Textile markup?

Does the Textile have information that is not in the resulting (X)HTML?
Why not do an (X)HTML -> PDF converter, and then any app that creates
proper (X)HTML can use it?

James

Martin DeMello

Bil Kleb <Bil.Kleb@nasa.gov> wrote:
> I'm still pining for PDF output from RedCloth and
> am seeking advice:
>
> Instiki has to_latex in it's RedCloth
>
> I like the idea of going directly to LaTeX so that I
> can embed (La)TeX mathematics somehow.

Also, there are pretty well-used toolchains for the LaTeX -> PDF route,
so it's likely you can just drop something in. The con side is that
distributing it crossplatformly gets problematic - the average windows
box has neither TeX nor ps2pdf. (I'm experiencing a similar problem with
an ascii | lout | gs > pdf program of mine - the end users are very
nontechnical, and I have to come up with a good way of distributing it.)

martin