A Rubyist's Dream

Benjamin Stiglitz

1/25/2005 6:22:00 PM

Hi, everyone. I had a dream last night that drove me to join the list
today.

A car whizzes up to the house, and before it even stops, Matz jumps out
and runs up to my door. I realize it's him, and as I do, he wishes me a
happy new year. Apparently he's greeting all the Rubyists! Then I
invite him in for a drink, and as I do...

...my alarm goes off.

Does this happen to all young Rubyists, or should I worry? <grin>

-Ben
(a.k.a stig)

16 Answers

why the lucky stiff

Benjamin Stiglitz (ben@tanjero.com) wrote:
> Hi, everyone. I had a dream last night that drove me to join the list
> today.
>
> A car whizzes up to the house, and before it even stops, Matz jumps out
> and runs up to my door. I realize it's him, and as I do, he wishes me a
> happy new year. Apparently he's greeting all the Rubyists! Then I
> invite him in for a drink, and as I do...

That sounds about right, Ben. Early on, long ago, I had a dream that
Matz came over in his little painter's outfit and started to wallpaper
my house with lettuce. But I think my dream was influenced by the fact
that when I first met Matz he was holding salad tongs. I speak the
unimpeachable truth.

Just understand that Matz has powers beyond our realm. And he is able
to select his followers and drive vehicles within their thoughts.

Do you think it is any coincidence that Onigurama (Ruby's new Regexp
engine) translates as "ghost car"?

Welcome to the neither regions of coding.

_why

Benjamin Stiglitz

> That sounds about right, Ben. Early on, long ago, I had a dream that
> Matz came over in his little painter's outfit and started to wallpaper
> my house with lettuce. But I think my dream was influenced by the fact
> that when I first met Matz he was holding salad tongs. I speak the
> unimpeachable truth.

Some how I expected a response like this from you, _why.

> Do you think it is any coincidence that Onigurama (Ruby's new Regexp
> engine) translates as "ghost car"?
Does this mean I get to brag to my coworkers that I dream about regular
expressions?

-Ben

Belorion

You know you're addicted to coding when ...

> Does this mean I get to brag to my coworkers that I dream about regular
> expressions?
>
> -Ben

I found myself dreaming about Rails last night. To abstract to
describe, but it kept waking me up when my dream would hit a bug in
the Model/Controller interface. :P

Jeffrey Moss

I dream about server strings, whatever those are. You know you need a
vacation when you wake up in the middle of the night yelling "server
strings!"

-Jeff

> You know you're addicted to coding when ...
>
>> Does this mean I get to brag to my coworkers that I dream about regular
>> expressions?
>>
>> -Ben
>
> I found myself dreaming about Rails last night. To abstract to
> describe, but it kept waking me up when my dream would hit a bug in
> the Model/Controller interface. :P

Logan Capaldo

No dreams about ruby yet, but I have had a couple of dreams in Forth.
Maybe I just haven't been obsessing over ruby enough lately. Either
that or forth is so weird it lends itself better to subconscious
interference with my sleep.

Ghislain MARY

> Do you think it is any coincidence that Onigurama (Ruby's new Regexp
> engine) translates as "ghost car"?

Isn't it Oniguruma instead? I haven't heard about it yet but that sounds
better to me ;)

Ghislain

Hal E. Fulton

Belorion wrote:
> You know you're addicted to coding when ...
>

>>Does this mean I get to brag to my coworkers that I dream about regular
>>expressions?
>>
>>-Ben
>

> I found myself dreaming about Rails last night. To abstract to
> describe, but it kept waking me up when my dream would hit a bug in
> the Model/Controller interface. :P

In all seriousness, have you ever dreamed the exact location and cause
of a bug? I have on three occasions. Once I was on contract to IBM and
working very hard. I woke up thinking, "Man, I should put that on my
timesheet..."

Hal

Hal E. Fulton

Ghislain MARY wrote:
>>Do you think it is any coincidence that Onigurama (Ruby's new Regexp
>>engine) translates as "ghost car"?
>

> Isn't it Oniguruma instead? I haven't heard about it yet but that sounds
> better to me ;)

I think that's right. "Guru" is a mnemonic for spelling it.

Hal

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 03:56:29 +0900, Belorion <belorion@gmail.com> wrote:
> You know you're addicted to coding when ...
>
> > Does this mean I get to brag to my coworkers that I dream about regular
> > expressions?
> >
> > -Ben
>
> I found myself dreaming about Rails last night. To abstract to
> describe, but it kept waking me up when my dream would hit a bug in
> the Model/Controller interface. :P

That was breakpoint launching it's irb session. You want to disable
that before going to sleep.

Nick
--
Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: A Rubyist's Dream"
on Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:33:01 +0900, Hal Fulton <hal9000@hypermetrics.com> writes:

|In all seriousness, have you ever dreamed the exact location and cause
|of a bug?

Often. Furthermore, sometimes I jumped up from the bed and turned on
my PC to find that the bug was already fixed by myself sometime ago.

matz.