JRuby Gem?

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

1/25/2005 5:10:00 AM

Would it be possible to make a rubygem or rpa of JRuby? Other Java
programs (please don't hit me!)?

On that topic, does anyone know of anything similar to RubyGems for
Java? I tried to get an updated Xalan the other day, and I almost
fainted at the bizarre number of steps that the Jakarta site was
making me do.

Thanks,
Nick
--
Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

7 Answers

Chad Fowler

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:09:44 +0900, Nicholas Van Weerdenburg
<vanweerd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would it be possible to make a rubygem or rpa of JRuby? Other Java
> programs (please don't hit me!)?

I guess you could theoretically use RubyGems to install JRuby. You
would have to deal with CLASSPATH issues afterward, but it should be
possible.

> On that topic, does anyone know of anything similar to RubyGems for
> Java? I tried to get an updated Xalan the other day, and I almost
> fainted at the bizarre number of steps that the Jakarta site was
> making me do.

Maven sort of does the same thing, though it's not focused on
installing libraries and applications.
http://maven.a...

--

Chad Fowler
http://chad...

R. Mark Volkmann

Quoting Chad Fowler <chadfowler@gmail.com>:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:09:44 +0900, Nicholas Van Weerdenburg
> <vanweerd@gmail.com> wrote:

> > does anyone know of anything similar to RubyGems for
> > Java? I tried to get an updated Xalan the other day, and I almost
> > fainted at the bizarre number of steps that the Jakarta site was
> > making me do.
>
> Maven sort of does the same thing, though it's not focused on
> installing libraries and applications.
> http://maven.a...

I'm not sure what you mean by saying "it's not focused on installing libraries".
That's the main reason I like it. Your build file specifies the libraries
your application depends on and which versions. When you build your project,
if those libraries don't exist in your local repository, Maven downloads them.
They are just JAR files. No "install" is necessary, just the download.

--
R. Mark Volkmann
Partner, Object Computing, Inc.

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:13:11 +0900, Chad Fowler <chadfowler@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:09:44 +0900, Nicholas Van Weerdenburg
> <vanweerd@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Would it be possible to make a rubygem or rpa of JRuby? Other Java
> > programs (please don't hit me!)?
> >

> I guess you could theoretically use RubyGems to install JRuby. You
> would have to deal with CLASSPATH issues afterward, but it should be
> possible.
>
> > On that topic, does anyone know of anything similar to RubyGems for
> > Java? I tried to get an updated Xalan the other day, and I almost
> > fainted at the bizarre number of steps that the Jakarta site was
> > making me do.
> >

> Maven sort of does the same thing, though it's not focused on
> installing libraries and applications.
> http://maven.a...
>
> --
>
> Chad Fowler
> http://chad...
> http://rubyc...
> http://ruby...
> http://rubygems.rub... (over 50,000 gems served!)

Cool.

Thanks,
Nick
--
Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:23:08 +0900, R. Mark Volkmann <mark@ociweb.com> wrote:
> Quoting Chad Fowler <chadfowler@gmail.com>:
>
> > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:09:44 +0900, Nicholas Van Weerdenburg
> > <vanweerd@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > does anyone know of anything similar to RubyGems for
> > > Java? I tried to get an updated Xalan the other day, and I almost
> > > fainted at the bizarre number of steps that the Jakarta site was
> > > making me do.
> >
> > Maven sort of does the same thing, though it's not focused on
> > installing libraries and applications.
> > http://maven.a...
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by saying "it's not focused on installing libraries".
> That's the main reason I like it. Your build file specifies the libraries
> your application depends on and which versions. When you build your project,
> if those libraries don't exist in your local repository, Maven downloads them.
> They are just JAR files. No "install" is necessary, just the download.
>
> --
> R. Mark Volkmann
> Partner, Object Computing, Inc.

That's cool! I didn't know Maven did that. I'd heard it was a bloated
vanity project with no real market.

Nick
--
Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

Chad Fowler

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:23:08 +0900, R. Mark Volkmann <mark@ociweb.com> wrote:
> Quoting Chad Fowler <chadfowler@gmail.com>:
>
> > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:09:44 +0900, Nicholas Van Weerdenburg
> > <vanweerd@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > does anyone know of anything similar to RubyGems for
> > > Java? I tried to get an updated Xalan the other day, and I almost
> > > fainted at the bizarre number of steps that the Jakarta site was
> > > making me do.
> >
> > Maven sort of does the same thing, though it's not focused on
> > installing libraries and applications.
> > http://maven.a...
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by saying "it's not focused on installing libraries".
> That's the main reason I like it. Your build file specifies the libraries
> your application depends on and which versions. When you build your project,
> if those libraries don't exist in your local repository, Maven downloads them.
> They are just JAR files. No "install" is necessary, just the download.

I mean that Maven's scope starts with and expands to way beyond just
installing libraries and applications. So, it's not really
appropriate to say that it is a RubyGems equivalent. It does,
however, provide a lot of the same functionality as RubyGems.

One thing I don't think maven lets you do is start without a build
file and just download and install libs. For example, if you have
maven installed, can you just simply do the equivalent of: maven
install someapplication? ...or maven install somelib?

That may actually be irrelevant in the case of Maven, which is kind of my point.

-
Chad Fowler
http://chad...
http://rubyc...
http://ruby...
http://rubygems.rub... (over 50,000 gems served!)

R. Mark Volkmann

Quoting Chad Fowler <chadfowler@gmail.com>:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:23:08 +0900, R. Mark Volkmann <mark@ociweb.com> wrote:
> > Quoting Chad Fowler <chadfowler@gmail.com>:

> > > Maven sort of does the same thing, though it's not focused on
> > > installing libraries and applications.
> > > http://maven.a...
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean by saying "it's not focused on installing
> libraries".
> > That's the main reason I like it. Your build file specifies the libraries
> > your application depends on and which versions. When you build your
> project,
> > if those libraries don't exist in your local repository, Maven downloads
> them.
> > They are just JAR files. No "install" is necessary, just the download.
> >

> I mean that Maven's scope starts with and expands to way beyond just
> installing libraries and applications. So, it's not really
> appropriate to say that it is a RubyGems equivalent. It does,
> however, provide a lot of the same functionality as RubyGems.

I see your point and agree on this.

> One thing I don't think maven lets you do is start without a build
> file and just download and install libs. For example, if you have
> maven installed, can you just simply do the equivalent of: maven
> install someapplication? ...or maven install somelib?

No, you can't.

> That may actually be irrelevant in the case of Maven, which is kind of my
> point.

Right. I guess you could think of Maven as a combination of Rake and RubyGems.
Unlike Ant, with Maven many commonly used targets are provided which means that
your build file is mainly a list of library dependencies.

--
R. Mark Volkmann
Partner, Object Computing, Inc.

Martin DeMello

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg <vanweerd@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's cool! I didn't know Maven did that. I'd heard it was a bloated
> vanity project with no real market.

You've been reading the BileBlog[1] too attentively (:

[1] http://jroller.com...

martin