RuWiki in a Corporate Environment

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

1/25/2005 2:01:00 AM

I'm about to kick off a wiki at work for collaboration.

Any tips for using RuWiki in a corporate setting, e.g. logons and/or
Ldap connectivity?

Thanks,
Nick
--
Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

5 Answers

James Britt

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg wrote:
> I'm about to kick off a wiki at work for collaboration.
>
> Any tips for using RuWiki in a corporate setting, e.g. logons and/or
> Ldap connectivity?

Interesting question, though I tend to think wikis work best with no
log-on at all.

Still, I can imagine that some places might frown on anonymous commenting.

Jame

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:35:35 +0900, James Britt
<jamesUNDERBARb@neurogami.com> wrote:
> Nicholas Van Weerdenburg wrote:
> > I'm about to kick off a wiki at work for collaboration.
> >
> > Any tips for using RuWiki in a corporate setting, e.g. logons and/or
> > Ldap connectivity?
>
> Interesting question, though I tend to think wikis work best with no
> log-on at all.

I think the bigger issue is one of being forced to create an account
and juggle yet-another-username-password. I think it would only fly if
it used the corporate ldap, and possibly automated the logo (though
most people have Firefox or IE remembering their passwords already for
other Intranet app).

> Still, I can imagine that some places might frown on anonymous commenting.

This is also an issue.

But also, I think the anonymity is awkward for people new to Wikis.
With the infrastructure in place already with user name and passwords,
this is probably smoother then teaching people who the Anonymous
Coward is.

There is also value in attribution. I know the people inside my
company who I'm keen to listen to. And whereas there is value to
anonymity in encouraging authorship, attribution is moreso I think,
especially in a horizontal group using a wiki- i.e. programmers but
not VPs. Generally, I think ease-of-authorship is the main benefit on
logon-less wikis. My hope the corporate infrastructure allows logons
is an easier manner.

I also hope to attach cvs at the backend enabling use on annotate-
ideally within the wiki page itself.

The other issue is a user's name versus a username. I prefer to type
my username, but have my name displayed. But that's probably unique to
longer names :).

> Jame

Regards,
Nick

Its Me

"Nicholas Van Weerdenburg" <vanweerd@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Any tips for using RuWiki in a corporate setting, e.g. logons and/or
> > > Ldap connectivity?

Nicholas,

Could you share some of your reasons for choosing RuWiki? It might help some
others (like me) who are interested as well.

Thanks.

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

Project namespaces, text file back-end, interesting architecture,
impressive development talent behind it.

Also, it's the only ruby wiki I see with the design goal of
'"extensible", which is very important to me. I think that for many
corporate needs, a wiki needs to be extended to fit to problem being
solved- e.g. with some CMS and workflow capabilities. By my general
use of the web, there seems to be as many failed wiki's as blogs.
Well, maybe not quite as many, but I'd say 90% of wikis I encounter
are a disaster or mostly empty.

Finally, I have a lot of personal ideas I'd like to hack on top of wiki.

I don't see any alternatives in the Ruby space for those needs. Maybe
Instiki in six months, but that depends on where it's development
heads. The other option is to go with a non-Ruby wiki, but I'd rather
suffer features and have the opportunity to extend my Ruby skills, and
maybe contribute to a Ruby project.

Nick

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 12:35:51 +0900, itsme213 <itsme213@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Nicholas,
>
> Could you share some of your reasons for choosing RuWiki? It might help some
> others (like me) who are interested as well.
>
> Thanks.

Raphael Bauduin

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg wrote:
> I'm about to kick off a wiki at work for collaboration.
>
> Any tips for using RuWiki in a corporate setting, e.g. logons and/or
> Ldap connectivity?

I'm very interested in the ldap connectivity. I hope you'll share your experience
with it, and I look forward to reading it.

Raph