Re: RubyConf '05

Harry Ohlsen

1/24/2005 11:27:00 PM

> I think we've got date and time figured out,

But no location, eh? Sydney's nice ... any time of year ;-).

If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it and notify the sender as soon as possible. The contents of this e-mail may be confidential and the unauthorized use, copying, or dissemination of it and any attachments to it, is prohibited.

Internet communications are not secure and Hyperion does not, therefore, accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message nor for any damage caused by viruses. The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion.

For more information about Hyperion, please visit our Web site at www.hyperion.com

43 Answers

dblack

Premshree Pillai

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:33:09 +0900, David A. Black <dblack@wobblini.net> wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Harry Ohlsen wrote:
>
> >> I think we've got date and time figured out,
>
> But no location, eh? Sydney's nice ... any time of year ;-).
>
> Yes, location too -- sorry, not Sydney. Announcement to follow fairly
> soon....

Damn, we should have it in India sometime. For one, there'll be more
Rubyists in India once that happens.

--
Premshree Pillai
http://www.livejournal.com/...

Chad Fowler

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:33:09 +0900, David A. Black <dblack@wobblini.net> wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Harry Ohlsen wrote:
>
> >> I think we've got date and time figured out,
>
> But no location, eh? Sydney's nice ... any time of year ;-).
>
> Yes, location too -- sorry, not Sydney. Announcement to follow fairly
> soon....

Aren't you all in my mind with me? Wasn't it obvious that "time"
meant location in this context? ;)
--

Chad Fowler
http://chad...

Jim Weirich

Chad Fowler said:
>> Yes, location too -- sorry, not Sydney. Announcement to follow fairly
>> soon....
>
> Aren't you all in my mind with me? Wasn't it obvious that "time"
> meant location in this context? ;)

Well, obviously you were speaking four dimensionally and meant a point in
Space/Time.

--
-- Jim Weirich jim@weirichhouse.org http://onest...

Austin Ziegler

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:44:33 +0900, Jim Weirich <jim@weirichhouse.org> wrote:

> Chad Fowler said:
> >> Yes, location too -- sorry, not Sydney. Announcement to follow fairly
> >> soon....
> >
> > Aren't you all in my mind with me? Wasn't it obvious that "time"
> > meant location in this context? ;)
>
> Well, obviously you were speaking four dimensionally and meant a point in
> Space/Time.

Range, not point. ;)

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
* Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 01:00:33 +0900, Austin Ziegler <halostatue@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Aren't you all in my mind with me? Wasn't it obvious that "time"
> > > meant location in this context? ;)
> >
> > Well, obviously you were speaking four dimensionally and meant a point in
> > Space/Time.
>
> Range, not point. ;)
>
> -austin
> --
> Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
> * Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

Really? Why is that?

Nick
--
Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

Austin Ziegler

<jim@weirichhouse.org > wrote:
>>> Well, obviously you were speaking four dimensionally and meant a
>>> point in Space/Time.
>> Range, not point. ;)
> Really? Why is that?

A point in spacetime is a single location and instant; a range
allows for both variance in location (e.g., the various locations of
the conference centre/hotel(s) and restaurants) and time (the
typically two and a half days of conference).

-austin
--

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 01:29:55 +0900, Austin Ziegler <halostatue@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 01:12:22 +0900, Nicholas Van Weerdenburg
> <vanweerd@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 01:00:33 +0900, Austin Ziegler <halostatue@gmail.com > wrote:
> >> Range, not point. ;)
> > Really? Why is that?
>
> A point in spacetime is a single location and instant; a range
> allows for both variance in location (e.g., the various locations of
> the conference centre/hotel(s) and restaurants) and time (the
> typically two and a half days of conference).
>
> -austin
> --
> Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
> * Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

Of course. I should have thought before posting.

It's actually a weird language thing- "at what point will you do this"
is maybe inaccurate since it implies both the start and end (or
superpowers). Though "point" deos have an overloaded meaning where
it's not of no size, but rather means a small range. But, it would
properly be the geometric definition if talking space-time.

Thanks,
Nick
--
Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

Hal E. Fulton

Austin Ziegler wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:44:33 +0900, Jim Weirich <jim@weirichhouse.org> wrote:
>

>>Well, obviously you were speaking four dimensionally and meant a point in
>>Space/Time.
>

> Range, not point. ;)

Well, I for one will be there. Last time was some of the best thousands
of cubic-feet-hours I ever spent.

Hal

Mathieu Bouchard