[Announce] JRuby 0.8.0

Thomas E Enebo

1/24/2005 7:33:00 PM

http://jruby.source...

Jruby is a project to provide a Java implementation of the Ruby language and
interpreter.

Jruby 0.8.0 has been released. This version boasts:

- Full support for Ruby 1.8.x grammar (previously was a mix of 1.6 and 1.8)
- Runs RubyForge rubicon test suite (though not all tests pass)
- Almost countless core class/module fixes
- Improved java integration support
- Threading greatly improved

Thanks to all people on the project and mailing lists for making jruby a much
better piece of software.

Here are the results against the TIP of rubicon:

All Tests Test Results V0.3.5
Name OK? Tests Asserts Failures Errors
Rubicon::TestCase 1 5
AccessControl 3 18
Array FAIL 69 613 2
Arrays 1 0
Assignment 4 75
BasicExpressions 3 15
Bignum 29 1598
Binding 1 0
BlocksProcs 3 61
BooleanExpressions 1 2
CatchThrow 1 1
Class 5 16
Classes 1 5
Comparable 7 26
Constants 3 20
Continuation FAIL 5 0 5
Dir FAIL 21 91 2
Enumerable FAIL 23 154 3
Eval FAIL 9 25 2 4
Exception 6 16
Exceptions 6 6
FalseClass 6 17
File FAIL 33 236 4 22
FileTest FAIL 4 16 4
File__Stat FAIL 32 128 32
Fixnum 35 414
Flip FAIL 7 26 1
Float 28 178
Floats 4 39
GC 4 1
Hash 44 296
Hashes 1 5
IO FAIL 53 1189 1 14
IfUnless 1 2
Integer 9 347
Integers 1 5
Invocation FAIL 6 10 4
KanjiIndex FAIL 20 63 14
Kernel FAIL 109 4863 12 17
LoopStuff 16 71
Marshal 6 31
MatchData 11 18
Math 2 62
Method 4 11
Methods 3 11
Module 25 101
ModulePrivate 15 41
Modules 1 5
Names 1 5
NilClass 8 21
Numeric 10 21
Object 2 11
ObjectSpace FAIL 4 3 2
PredefinedVariables 2 8
Proc 4 5
Range FAIL 14 128 2 1
Ranges 1 5
Regexp 14 38
RegularExpressions FAIL 4 31 1
Scope FAIL 13 24 2
SourceLayout 8 28
String FAIL 87 1191 5 2
Strings 6 32
Struct 11 47
Struct__Tms FAIL 1 0 1
Symbol 8 20
Symbols 1 5
Thread FAIL 32 74 5 6
ThreadGroup 4 7
Time FAIL 41 1796 2
TrueClass 6 17
All 71 files FAIL 964 14450 57 115

+ http://www.tc.umn.... +---- mailto:enebo@acm.org ----+
| Thomas E Enebo, Protagonist | "A word is worth a thousand |
| | pictures" -Bruce Tognazzini |

7 Answers

Zach Dennis

Thomas E Enebo wrote:
> http://jruby.source...
>
> Jruby is a project to provide a Java implementation of the Ruby language and
> interpreter.
>
> Jruby 0.8.0 has been released. This version boasts:
>
> - Full support for Ruby 1.8.x grammar (previously was a mix of 1.6 and 1.8)
> - Runs RubyForge rubicon test suite (though not all tests pass)
> - Almost countless core class/module fixes
> - Improved java integration support
> - Threading greatly improved
>
> Thanks to all people on the project and mailing lists for making jruby a much
> better piece of software.

Very very very cool. I thought this project was dead! I check it out
about 2 months ago, since I do alot of Java work at the office. I really
liked JRuby when I was messing with it. I will have to start messing
with it some more!

Zach

Alexey Verkhovsky

Thomas E Enebo wrote:

>http://jruby.source...
>
>Jruby is a project to provide a Java implementation of the Ruby language and
>interpreter.
>
>Jruby 0.8.0 has been released. This version boasts:

Wow! Like many other people, I was under impression that JRuby is dead.
Long live JRuby!

--
Best regards,

Alexey Verkhovsky

Ruby Forum: http://ruby... (moderator)
RForum: http://rforum.and... (co-author)
Instiki: http://i... (maintainer)

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

Would it be possible to make JRuby a rubygem? Maybe a simple wrapper
script could bootstrap installing the appropiate symlinks into
/usr/local/bin, etc.

Regards,
Nick

--
Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

George Moschovitis

Thank you for this release!

-g.

Lyndon Samson

This is excellent news, now we need a volunteer to implement a j2ee
app server in jruby !!!

--
Into RFID? www.rfidnewsupdate.com Simple, fast, news.

Friedrich

Lyndon Samson <lyndon.samson@gmail.com> writes:

> This is excellent news, now we need a volunteer to implement a j2ee
> app server in jruby !!!
are you kidding? Ever considered paying for some services?

--
Please remove just-for-news- to reply via e-mail.

Lyndon Samson

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:20:47 +0900, Friedrich Dominicus
<just-for-news-frido@q-software-solutions.de> wrote:
> Lyndon Samson <lyndon.samson@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > This is excellent news, now we need a volunteer to implement a j2ee
> > app server in jruby !!!
> are you kidding? Ever considered paying for some services?
>
> --
> Please remove just-for-news- to reply via e-mail.

I dont get you, please explain.

--
Into RFID? www.rfidnewsupdate.com Simple, fast, news.