microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Confusing network NIC setup

Dodge

8/26/2009 2:26:00 PM

Hi, I'm working on a W2K3 Server that someone setup and abandoned support on.
It has 3 NIC cards. Two nics are in use. There's a Cable Modem/Router that is
dishing out DHCP and doing NAT. From there one CAT 5e cable runs to a 10BT
Hub (slow I know!!!!!) that has two ethernet cables going to the 2 nics on
the server. One has an internal IP of 192.168.0.1 and the other 192.168.0.6.
I cannot for the life of me figure out why this was done. I've seen and
deployed dual nics when using say ISA Sever, but one nic is an external IP
and the other an internal IP. I have to look closer, but the only thing I can
think why this was done is there's seems to be settings for RRAS and VPN and
wonder if they are somehow involved in this setup. No matter what, with the
slow hub it seems a real bottle neck and I don't see a need to two IPs on the
server. All it does is File Sharing, hosts a QuickBooks company file, and
again I think RRAS and VPN were setup. Any insight or things to look for,
would be appreciated.