microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

No setup project with Outlook 2007 Add-In project

John

7/10/2009 11:04:00 PM

Hi

In vs 2008 when I create an Outlook 2003 Add-In project it automatically
creates an associated setup project too. But when I create an Outlook 2007
Add-In project it does not automatically creates an associated setup project
too. What is going on?

Thanks

Regards

16 Answers

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

Create one manually then.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
http://www.slov.../products.htm

"John" <info@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> In vs 2008 when I create an Outlook 2003 Add-In project it automatically
> creates an associated setup project too. But when I create an Outlook 2007
> Add-In project it does not automatically creates an associated setup
> project too. What is going on?
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards

John

Hi

I added the project out put but that did not work. I tried to manually add
the MyAddin.dll to OL2007's addins on target machine but it says "...is not
a valid add-in."

Thanks

Regards

"Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]" <kenslovak@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Create one manually then.
>
> --
> Ken Slovak
> [MVP - Outlook]
> http://www.slov...
> Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
> Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options.
> http://www.slov.../products.htm
>

> "John" <info@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> In vs 2008 when I create an Outlook 2003 Add-In project it automatically
>> creates an associated setup project too. But when I create an Outlook
>> 2007 Add-In project it does not automatically creates an associated setup
>> project too. What is going on?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Regards

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

Is this on a machine where Outlook 2007 is installed? That would be
required. In addition you can't just add an Outlook addin, it has to be
registered correctly. If it's not correctly registered in either HKCU or
HKLM with the correct values in the correct location the addin would never
load in Outlook.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.

> Hi
>
> I added the project out put but that did not work. I tried to manually add
> the MyAddin.dll to OL2007's addins on target machine but it says "...is
> not a valid add-in."
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards

Lasyapriya P

hi

i got the same problem. i have created an outlook 2007 addin project.
added a setup project and a setSecurity project to the solution.
and then added the outputs of setSecurity and MyAddIn projects to
setup project. Created the registries manually and imported into setup
project`s registry.
i have created the registry entries in a file as follows.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins
\MyOutlookAddIn]

"Description"="MyOutlookAddIn -- an addin created with VSTO
technology"
"Manifest"="[TARGETDIR]MyOutlookAddIn.dll.manifest"
"FriendlyName"="MyOutlookAddIn"
"LoadBehavior"=dword:00000003
"CommandLineSafe"=dword:00000001

In add-in project properties->Signing (Tab)->'Click Once' is checked.
And I have created a test certificate.
Still, the add-in is not loading. The load behavior is setting to 2
after opening outlook.
I tried to change it to 3 and open outlook but i am getting the same
error.

Thanks

On Jul 13, 11:03 pm, "Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]"
<kenslo...@mvps.org> wrote:
> Is this on a machine where Outlook 2007 is installed? That would be
> required. In addition you can't just add an Outlook addin, it has to be
> registered correctly. If it's not correctly registered in either HKCU or
> HKLM with the correct values in the correct location the addin would never
> load in Outlook.
>
> --
> Ken Slovak
> [MVP - Outlook]http://www.slov...
> Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
> Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options.http://www.slov.../products.htm
>
> "John" <i...@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Hi
>
> > I added the project out put but that did not work. I tried to manually add
> > the MyAddin.dll to OL2007's addins on target machine but it says "...is
> > not a valid add-in."
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Regards- Hide quoted text -

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

Since this is for a VSTO project it really should be posted in the VSTO
forum. However, to debug load problems for managed code, including VSTO, see
this article:
http://blogs.msdn.com/vsod/archive/2008/04/22/Troubleshooting-com-add-in-load-fai....
The Fusion logs more often than not pinpoint where the problem is.

You also should be using the Framework configuration utility to make sure
that your security settings are propagated to the target machine correctly,
no VSTO addin will load and run without full trust. You also need to make
sure you are deploying the required dependencies for your addin including
the VSTO runtime, Framework, PIA's, etc.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
http://www.slov.../products.htm

"Lasyapriya P" <lasyaaa@gmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the reply Ken.

I have created an empty addin with a msgbox in ThisAddIn_StartUp
method and generated a build from the setup project.
I tried to install this build in my development system itself. It is
not working in the development system itself.
But, the addin is working fine in debug mode (when i ran it from
visual studio using F5).
My development system has VS2008 in Windows Vista, Outlook 2007 and
PIAs installed.

I will generate the fusion log and go through it now.
I think, there are no dependencies to the project that are missing, as
I am trying to install it in the development system itself.

Regards

On Jul 16, 11:26 pm, "Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]"
<kenslo...@mvps.org> wrote:
> Since this is for a VSTO project it really should be posted in the VSTO
> forum. However, to debug load problems for managed code, including VSTO, see
> this article:http://blogs.msdn.com/vsod/archive/2008/04/22/Troubleshooti.......
> The Fusion logs more often than not pinpoint where the problem is.
>
> You also should be using the Framework configuration utility to make sure
> that your security settings are propagated to the target machine correctly,
> no VSTO addin will load and run without full trust. You also need to make
> sure you are deploying the required dependencies for your addin including
> the VSTO runtime, Framework, PIA's, etc.
>
> --
> Ken Slovak
> [MVP - Outlook]http://www.slov...
> Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
> Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options.http://www.slov.../products.htm
>
> "Lasyapriya P" <lasy...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> hi
>
> i got the same problem. i have created an outlook 2007 addin project.
> added a setup project and a setSecurity project to the solution.
> and then added the outputs of setSecurity and MyAddIn projects to
> setup project. Created the registries manually and imported into setup
> project`s registry.
> i have created the registry entries in a file as follows.
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins
> \MyOutlookAddIn]
>
> "Description"="MyOutlookAddIn -- an addin created with VSTO
> technology"
> "Manifest"="[TARGETDIR]MyOutlookAddIn.dll.manifest"
> "FriendlyName"="MyOutlookAddIn"
> "LoadBehavior"=dword:00000003
> "CommandLineSafe"=dword:00000001
>
> In add-in project properties->Signing (Tab)->'Click Once' is checked.
> And I have created a test certificate.
> Still, the  add-in is not loading. The load behavior is setting to 2
> after opening outlook.
> I tried to change it to 3 and open outlook but i am getting the same
> error.
>
>  Thanks

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

In that case my money is on faulty trust setup.

If it runs in debug mode and not in run mode on the same dev machine it's
almost always a trust issue.

You can easily check that by manually creating a full trust for your
assemblies using the Framework Assistant and seeing if things run then.

The other thing to look at is if the assemblies are strong named. They have
to be unless you grant the installation folder full trust, and that's a bad
idea unless it's just for testing things.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.

Thanks for the reply Ken.

I have created an empty addin with a msgbox in ThisAddIn_StartUp
method and generated a build from the setup project.
I tried to install this build in my development system itself. It is
not working in the development system itself.
But, the addin is working fine in debug mode (when i ran it from
visual studio using F5).
My development system has VS2008 in Windows Vista, Outlook 2007 and
PIAs installed.

I will generate the fusion log and go through it now.
I think, there are no dependencies to the project that are missing, as
I am trying to install it in the development system itself.

Regards

Lasyapriya P

I have granted Full Trust to the add-in dll using CASPOL security
policy and added CustomActions to the setup project.
I also strong named the assembly by signing it.

I have copied the setSecurity project from an Outlook 2003 project
which I have developed in VS2005.
Is there any new version of CASPOL (setSecurity) project for Outlook
2007 add-ins [ or VSTO 3.0]? If yes, where can I get that?

Regards

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

I use the caspol custom actions described in the VSTO deployment articles,
I'm not sure about new versions or whatever, but the actions work on Outlook
2003 and Outlook 2007 here on all my setups. That's from this article:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb3....

You can also check the deployment information and such at
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vst..., and the VSTO
team hangs out there, so they'd be the ones to ask.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.

>I have granted Full Trust to the add-in dll using CASPOL security
> policy and added CustomActions to the setup project.
> I also strong named the assembly by signing it.
>
> I have copied the setSecurity project from an Outlook 2003 project
> which I have developed in VS2005.
> Is there any new version of CASPOL (setSecurity) project for Outlook
> 2007 add-ins [ or VSTO 3.0]? If yes, where can I get that?
>
> Regards

Lasyapriya P

On Jul 17, 3:51 am, "Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]"
<kenslo...@mvps.org> wrote:
> I use the caspol custom actions described in the VSTO deployment articles,
> I'm not sure about new versions or whatever, but the actions work on Outlook
> 2003 and Outlook 2007 here on all my setups. That's from this article:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb3....
>
> You can also check the deployment information and such athttp://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vst..., and the VSTO
> team hangs out there, so they'd be the ones to ask.
>
> --
> Ken Slovak
> [MVP - Outlook]http://www.slov...
> Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
> Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options.http://www.slov.../products.htm
>
> "Lasyapriya P" <lasy...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I have granted Full Trust to the add-in dll using CASPOL security
> > policy and added CustomActions to the setup project.
> > I also strong named the assembly by signing it.
>
> > I have copied the setSecurity project from an Outlook 2003 project
> > which I have developed in VS2005.
> > Is there any new version of CASPOL (setSecurity) project for Outlook
> > 2007 add-ins [ or VSTO 3.0]? If yes, where can I get that?
>
> > Regards- Hide quoted text -

Thank you.

I have gone through the links you suggested and created another
project following that methods. Now, the add-in is loading. But , it
is taking much time to load (almost 3-5 minutes).
Here are the detailed steps I have followed to created the project.
1. Created a Outlook 2007 add-in project and added setup project to
the solution.
2. Added the output, manifest file and vsto file of add-in project to
setup.
3. Added registry entries to the setup project.
4. Signed the assembly with temporary certificate in 'ClickOnce'.
5. Built the solution.

Do I need to take care of any other constraints?
Why the add-in is loading slowly?
Do I need to use any security policy like adding the add-in to
inclusion list?

Regards