microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Alternate setup app for vs2008

John

6/12/2009 8:59:00 PM

Hi

I am wondering if there is a slightly better setup app available than the
default in vs2008. Basically I am looking for one that easily provides for a
precompile on install option. I know it can be done in std vs2008 too but
its a drag to create a separate project just for that every time.

Thanks

Regards

2 Answers

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

John,

As that is to much work, then don't look to others.

Cor

"John" <info@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am wondering if there is a slightly better setup app available than the
> default in vs2008. Basically I am looking for one that easily provides for
> a precompile on install option. I know it can be done in std vs2008 too
> but its a drag to create a separate project just for that every time.
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards

Cowboy

"John" <info@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in

> Hi
>
> I am wondering if there is a slightly better setup app available than
> the default in vs2008. Basically I am looking for one that easily
> provides for a precompile on install option. I know it can be done in
> std vs2008 too but its a drag to create a separate project just for
> that every time.
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards

There are third party installer libraries you can use, like Wise or
InstallShield, but they are not free. Wix might be an option, but it has a
learning curve.

As for setting up post compile steps in an installer project, it is not
that difficult to do.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA