microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

IS DOTNET FRAMEWORK A MUST?

zapakzoom

I am not a technical person. I just bought a new laptop and the vendor
gave me all the necessary drivers for my future reference. Amongst all
the drivers (chipset, graphics, audio, etc etc), I see that the vendor
has also given me the DOTNET FRAMEWORK installation exe.

Will my laptop not function without the DotNet Framework? Is it
necessary to install this framework at the time of OS installation? I
use Win XP Professional Service Pack 2.

My guess is that this framework should have something to do with
running the software. If that is the case, then can I not install it
in the future only if the need arises?

Experts, please guide me.

Thanks.
2 Answers

Peter

zapakzoom@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not a technical person. I just bought a new laptop and the vendor
> gave me all the necessary drivers for my future reference. Amongst all
> the drivers (chipset, graphics, audio, etc etc), I see that the vendor
> has also given me the DOTNET FRAMEWORK installation exe.
>
> Will my laptop not function without the DotNet Framework? Is it
> necessary to install this framework at the time of OS installation? I
> use Win XP Professional Service Pack 2.
>
> My guess is that this framework should have something to do with
> running the software. If that is the case, then can I not install it
> in the future only if the need arises?
>
> Experts, please guide me.
>
> Thanks.

You only need the .NET framework (a software library that .NET programs
utilize), if software that you (or your laptop vendor) chose to install
and use requires .NET support. I don't believe that Windows XP requires
..NET, as Windows XP was released before .NET (see release dates in the
following links).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET...

However, there may be programs in the XP service packs that require
..NET, as Microsoft typically includes new technology in their service
packs to both ensure customer lock-in and force customers to stay on the
Microsoft upgrade train.

Peter

Saucy

I think you are mistaken - you don't *need* the .NET Framework to install
service packs for Windows XP. There's no "lock-in".

One needs the .NET framework for any .NET program (and probably any program
that has a module that makes a call to the .NET framework). Regular updates
for XP and Service Packs for XP will not be requiring it.

On a practical level, any program that is written in C# or written in any
language with the .NET appended to its name e.g. Visual Basic.NET will
require it. An example of a program that needs the framework to run is the
new paint.net ( http://www.ge... ) which is written using a .NET
programming language. BTW, a program can be called anything - it doesn't
have to actually have .net in it's name to be a .NET program.

The C# programming language is a published ECMA standard, by the way:

http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ec...

The .NET Framework is not installed by default with Windows XP. One does not
need it for any XP service pack or regular update. But if one wants to run
more modern software on Windows XP, just download the .NET framework from
Microsoft's website and install it. Many business deploy softwares and
software systems that are wholly or in part users of the .NET framework. For
a computer running XP to participate, the machine would have to have the
..NET Framework installed as XP does not have it installed by default.
Windows Vista does have it by default, and so does Windows 7.

This is good because with Windows 7, a programmer can be confident that his
program written in C# or any of the other .NET languages will run on those
systems without the user having to download and install the .NET Framework
on top of everything else. C#

And what's so great about .NET? From the programmer's perspective it means
more easily written code in a sensible managed framework that is by nature
much more secure against exploits and attacks. From the user's point of
view it means fast efficient software that is more secure and more
impervious to attack. For companies it means lower expenses, better business
operation, and better security for itself and its customers all 'round.

Saucy