microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

.Net 3.5 SP1 Takes 1 hour to install?!? Sanity check please.

Rick Shuri

12/16/2008 7:03:00 PM

We have built an Outlook 2007 Add-in using VS2008 and VSTO. Deployment is
via Click-once off of our web site to our paying customers. Note: this is
NOT an enterprise scenario - we exist to make money selling software built
using MS tools to other firms in the technology industry.

Everything works fine, but the Asp.Net 3.5 SP1 portion of the install
process is ridiculous:

1. After everything downloads, the install takes an HOUR to run on a Core 2
Duo class machine running Vista SP1. It would take much longer on
less-capable hardware.

2. A "Windows Update" pop-up is displayed during the install indicating a
restart is required, yet the install continues to run while that pop-up is
displayed. If the user reboots when the pop-up is first displayed, the
install does not resume after the install. Users need to know that they
should NOT restart until the install is COMPLETE.

What am I missing? How could a .Net Framework install really take as much
time as an initial OS install?

Any help would be appreciated - I may have to explain this to a lot of
users at a lot of high-tech companies AND their IT departments. See
http://www.arinsights.com/cust...

Thanks,
Rick
1 Answer

..

When the Installer has completed and if you are asked to reboot,
wait until a process named "NGEN" has completed before rebooting the PC.

Use Windows Task Manager to monitor the CPU usage and when Ngen has
completed it's task the "System Idle Process" should be at or near 99%. Hard
disk activity will also be heavy until Ngen has finished. After Ngen has
completed installing .Net then reboot the computer.

For more info see: Framework Tools: Native Image Generator (Ngen.exe)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar...(VS.80).aspx

Newer versions of .Net make use of a process named "mscorsvw.exe" during the
installation of .Net. The mscorsvw process like NGEN also continues to run
for a minute or two after you have received the prompt to reboot or a notice
that the installation has completed. You will find that "mscorsvw" uses a
significant percentage of your CPU resources and hard disk activity remains
high until mscorsvw completes its task. After your PC settles down and is
basically idle then reboot if required.

What is mscorsvw.exe and why is it eating up my CPU?
http://blogs.msdn.com/davidnotario/archive/2005/04/27/4...

mscorsvw.exe and 100% CPU
http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/johnwood/archive/2006/04/09/mscorsv...

JS