microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Full redistributable package is not full

setecastronomy

10/2/2008 1:53:00 PM

Some time ago I downladed the full redistributable package for .net framework
3.5 from the link in the MIDDLE of the official page:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&disp...

I tryed and re-tryed more times and on different computers with XP operative
systems, but the offline installation always failed. The only way to be
succesfull is to have a live internet connection during installation.
In fact the user interface warns you that it is trying to establish an
internet connection for 5 times. At the end it gives up and start the
installation process, but it finally fails for the lack of a file. I repeat,
on the same computer the installation succedes if it can download some
megabytes of unknown packages, so it is not a matter of PC configuration,
permissison or corrupted package.

I read many comments from MVP who say that the full redistributable package
is a true offline installer but there a lots of user who are experiencing my
same problem and all of them solved connecting the computer to internet.

Now I'm downloading the full package for 3.5 SP1 to check if it behaves
differently.

Any idea ?

Filippo

1 Answer

setecastronomy

I forgot to mention that most people with problems seem to live outside US
with a different language and culture. Perhaps the 'missing' files are inside
a localization package.