microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

not working applications when Framework 3.5 SP1 installed

Caracal

9/17/2008 12:06:00 PM

Greetings all,

I always had all Frameworks with SPs installed and updated and had no
problems with any applications, which are using them.

Recently I installed 3.5 with SP1 as part of Visual Basic Express 2008.

What I noticed that some programs stop working. The symptom is - when
invoking them either from shortcut or exe in base directory they won't
start. The cursor will change to hourglass for a short period of time . and
that's it. In Process Explorer (Sysinternals) applicatios flicker for a
second , go red and disappear.

Investigating the problem with Process Monitor (Sysinternals) I found that
those apps are using Framework 2.

What I tried was just uninstalling Framework 3.5. And those apps are back to
life.

Following installation of 3.5 kills them dead. Few examples of such
applications:

Cropper http://blogs.geekdojo.net/brian/articles/Cr...

CDburnerXP http://www.cdbu...

When I found another previously working Application which requires Framework
2 - Hazard Shield antimalware http://www.orbitech.org/hazards...

I did the following

1) Framework 3.5 SP1 uninstalled

2) sure my Framework 2.0 applications came alive as it was stated
above

3) I downloaded Framework 3.5 redistributable (important !!! no SP1)

4) 3.5 installed all framework 2 aware applications tested and working
!

5) sp1 (dotnetfx35setup) downloaded and installed ... here we go!...
the said apps. are dead

Thanks in advance for any ideas

My regards

2 Answers

Caracal

Thanks to all who replied :-)
....especially Microsoft

foson

Have you tried creating an app.config for those applications and adding
<requiredRuntime> / <supportedRuntime> elements to force the programs to use
..net 2? ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/a5d... )?

In an ideal world, there would be no breaking changes, but big things, like
..net, are complicated.