microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Detect unattened installation in a custom action

João Maia

5/16/2008 4:38:00 PM

Hello there,

I am writing a custom action component to perform some actions after
the installation of a package. The deployment of this package will
have to run attended or unattended but I need to do some different
stuff if it runs unattended (display different messages to the user,
write to the user's console instead of showing message boxes, etc).

In .net web setup projects in visual studio, is there a way to detect
programatically whether the installation is running in attended or
unattended (quiet) mode ?

Thanks in advance,

Joao Maia
4 Answers

Phil Wilson

You can pass the UILevel Windows Installer property into your custom action.
It has a value depending on the degree of silent install requested via the
command line. Keep in mind that completely silent is an option, so you
wouldn't be showing a UI at all, and in some scenarios there's nobody logged
on to to see the UI anyway.

--
Phil Wilson
Definitive Guide to Windows Installer

"João Maia" <jmaia@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello there,
>
> I am writing a custom action component to perform some actions after
> the installation of a package. The deployment of this package will
> have to run attended or unattended but I need to do some different
> stuff if it runs unattended (display different messages to the user,
> write to the user's console instead of showing message boxes, etc).
>
> In .net web setup projects in visual studio, is there a way to detect
> programatically whether the installation is running in attended or
> unattended (quiet) mode ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Joao Maia

João Maia

Any idea on how I can do this ?

I am trying to pass the property by adding /UILEVEL = "[UILEVEL]" on
the custom action property CustomActionData and then retrieving it in
my custom action code by doing

string uiLevel = Context.Parameters["UILEVEL"];

but I keep getting null (or an empty string) from that code, meaning
that the property is not being passed. Am I doing something wrong
here ?

Thanks for your help,

Joao Maia

> You can pass the UILevel Windows Installer property into your custom action.
> It has a value depending on the degree of silent install requested via the
> command line. Keep in mind that completely silent is an option, so you
> wouldn't be showing a UI at all, and in some scenarios there's nobody logged
> on to to see the UI anyway.
>
> --
> Phil Wilson
> Definitive Guide to Windows Installerhttp://www.apress.com/book/view/...
>
> "João Maia" <jm...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Hello there,
>
> > I am writing a custom action component to perform some actions after
> > the installation of a package. The deployment of this package will
> > have to runattendedor unattended but I need to do some different
> > stuff if it runs unattended (display different messages to the user,
> > write to the user's console instead of showing message boxes, etc).
>
> > In .net web setup projects in visual studio, is there a way to detect
> > programatically whether the installation is running inattendedor
> > unattended (quiet) mode ?
>
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> >Joao Maia- Ocultar texto entre aspas -
>
> - Mostrar texto entre aspas -

Phil Wilson

Windows Installer properties are case sensitive. It's UILevel:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar...(VS.85).aspx

--

Any idea on how I can do this ?

I am trying to pass the property by adding /UILEVEL = "[UILEVEL]" on
the custom action property CustomActionData and then retrieving it in
my custom action code by doing

string uiLevel = Context.Parameters["UILEVEL"];

but I keep getting null (or an empty string) from that code, meaning
that the property is not being passed. Am I doing something wrong
here ?

Thanks for your help,

Joao Maia

> You can pass the UILevel Windows Installer property into your custom
> action.
> It has a value depending on the degree of silent install requested via the
> command line. Keep in mind that completely silent is an option, so you
> wouldn't be showing a UI at all, and in some scenarios there's nobody
> logged
> on to to see the UI anyway.
>
> --
> Phil Wilson
> Definitive Guide to Windows
> Installerhttp://www.apress.com/book/view/...
>
> "João Maia" <jm...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Hello there,
>
> > I am writing a custom action component to perform some actions after
> > the installation of a package. The deployment of this package will
> > have to runattendedor unattended but I need to do some different
> > stuff if it runs unattended (display different messages to the user,
> > write to the user's console instead of showing message boxes, etc).
>
> > In .net web setup projects in visual studio, is there a way to detect
> > programatically whether the installation is running inattendedor
> > unattended (quiet) mode ?
>
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> >Joao Maia- Ocultar texto entre aspas -
>
> - Mostrar texto entre aspas -