microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

DotNet Framework Update/Reinstall Failures

Clamorous

1/30/2008 4:37:00 PM

The kind folks over at "microsoft.public.windowsxp.general" suggested
that I post this in a Framework group.

Last year I went through the process of removing and reinstalling .NET
Framework 1.0
and 1.1 in order to get 2.0 installed correctly. Last Saturday (the
26th of January) I noticed that the updates for 2.0 and 3.0 failed. I
searched this group, other groups, and GOOGLE searches to find
solutions, and was amazed at how many others are having similar
problems.

I'm trying to install the upgrades (security patches, etc.) on a
Windows XP Media Center 2005 OS with all patches, less SP3, up to
date.

I didn't need the Stebner software that PA Bear had mentioned in
other
posts. I was able to uninstall .NET 2.0 and 3.0 from the Add/Remove
app. I did run the CleanUp Tool to make sure that a reference to
these
were not present. I uninstalled 3.0 prior to 2.0 in the event that
this made a difference.

I installed .NET 2.0 and received a notice that it was intalled
successfully. I then installed .NET 2.0 SP1 and received a successful
installation notice.

I then went to install .NET 3.0 but it apologized that it encountered
an error and could not continue. I opened the error log from the
provided link. Contents of that file is:
=====
[01/28/08,19:21:34] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: [2] Error:
Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. MSI
returned error code 1603
[01/28/08,19:21:49] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET
Framework 2.0 is not installed.
[01/28/08,20:04:02] Windows Communication Foundation: [2] Error:
Installation failed for component Windows Communication Foundation.
MSI returned error code 1603
[01/28/08,20:04:09] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Windows
Communication Foundation is not installed.
=====

If I read correctly, the .NET 3.0 installation said that the .NET 2.0
installation failed? The last line says that "Windows Communication
Foundation is not installed" so I GOOGLED this since I had no idea
what this product was, and GOOGLE brought me to the Microsoft site
for
downloading .NET 3.5. I'm guessing that what this statement is saying
is that I don't have a successful installation of a .NET Framework in
which to install the 3.0 version.

How can I get a successful installation message from the two .NET 2.0
installations, but the 3.0 installation says it's not installed?

This time I did not uninstall .NET 1.0 and 1.1, do I really have to
uninstall and reinstall them too? I think I did a reboot between
the .NET 2.0
and .NET 3.0 installation, but not certain, is this mandatory,
although the installation didn't require it? I did perform a reboot
between the uninstalls and the first .NET 2.0 installation.

Any insights to help me through this?

Thank you.