microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

how to uninstall .net framework 1.1 on server 2003/R2

frieda.peeps

1/29/2008 11:33:00 PM

I get "the product you are trying to install has already been
installed" message when trying to run dotnetfx.exe on a server 2003
machine. I need to uninstall in order to reinstall a custom version
of the dotnetfx.exe, but .net framework 1.1 does not appear in the
control panel 'install/uninstall apps' applet.

I saw an old usenet thread stating it's possible to uninstall after
editing a registry entry; casual registry browsing does not make it
obvious. Does anyone know how to enable uninstalling the .net
framework 1.1 on server 2003?

-Frank
2 Answers

Phil Wilson

The framework files are part of the operating system. Being part of the OS
means that the files are protected as critical files, and files like
c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\system.windows.forms.dll are
protected in the same way as kernel32.dll. The system file checker will
attempt to restore them via Windows File Protection, and if you figured out
how to uninstall the framework it's not clear to me if the system file
protection is also uninstalled.
--
Phil Wilson
[MVP Windows Installer]

<frieda.peeps@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I get "the product you are trying to install has already been
> installed" message when trying to run dotnetfx.exe on a server 2003
> machine. I need to uninstall in order to reinstall a custom version
> of the dotnetfx.exe, but .net framework 1.1 does not appear in the
> control panel 'install/uninstall apps' applet.
>
> I saw an old usenet thread stating it's possible to uninstall after
> editing a registry entry; casual registry browsing does not make it
> obvious. Does anyone know how to enable uninstalling the .net
> framework 1.1 on server 2003?
>
> -Frank

Hayato Iriumi

Hello,

I'm just curious where and how you got the "custom" vesion of .NET Framework
1.1. Is there such thing? I'm just curious why you would need a custom framework.

Like Phil answered, .NET Framework 1.1 is a part of Windows Server 2003,
so I don't t think you can uninstall it.