microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Custom installer design issue

Jason_Brenton

1/17/2008 4:35:00 PM

I am trying to finsh an App extension installer, and I am up against a bit of
a wall in two or three different directions of approach.

Basic overall problem. For proper run of the extension, I need to match to
the existing master app, which i can easily do with the master apps registry
settings.

In trying to make an installer, I seem to have a trouble looking at those
registry settings and offering the user any choice at the same time. I want
to make the install check for versions of master app available, so the
extension can be attached to one of them.

Using Wix, I can't seem to look into the registry before the dialog starts,
if i can get the way how, then I would be good. Tried to set the sequence of
appsearch, didn't help.

I am also looking at a custom installer object, but need the methodoligy to
incorporate that into the ms instructions. Already have working code for most
of what i was missing, tho I could use confirmation on return values from a
custom installer object. Or Perhaps i am supposed to use imanagedinstaller
instead?

Any help appreciated.

3 Answers

Robbe Morris - MVP C#

I'm totally confused with your post but perhaps this article
on custom installers could be helpful.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/2a5222d8-3d69-4f1c-b5ab-35ca33da0f65/net-setup-deployme...

--
Robbe Morris [Microsoft MVP - Visual C#]
AdvancedXL Server, Designer, and Data Analyzer

"Jason_Brenton" <u40723@uwe> wrote in message news:7e5a1185087e5@uwe...
>I am trying to finsh an App extension installer, and I am up against a bit
>of
> a wall in two or three different directions of approach.
>
> Basic overall problem. For proper run of the extension, I need to match to
> the existing master app, which i can easily do with the master apps
> registry
> settings.
>
> In trying to make an installer, I seem to have a trouble looking at those
> registry settings and offering the user any choice at the same time. I
> want
> to make the install check for versions of master app available, so the
> extension can be attached to one of them.
>
> Using Wix, I can't seem to look into the registry before the dialog
> starts,
> if i can get the way how, then I would be good. Tried to set the sequence
> of
> appsearch, didn't help.
>
> I am also looking at a custom installer object, but need the methodoligy
> incorporate that into the ms instructions. Already have working code for
> most
> of what i was missing, tho I could use confirmation on return values from
> custom installer object. Or Perhaps i am supposed to use
> imanagedinstaller
> instead?
>
> Any help appreciated.

Jason_Brenton

Robbe Morris - [MVP] C# wrote:
>I'm totally confused with your post but perhaps this article
>on custom installers could be helpful.
>
>http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/2a5222d8-3d69-4f1c-b5ab-35ca33da0f65/net-setup-deployme...

--------

Very Useful tutorial, There is a lot of good pieces there for my purposes.
Just in case, I would like to clarify my question:
During install, I need to difinitively access the registry early to determine
what install options i want to present to my user. Wix based Installers seem
to have trouble accessing the registry before presenting user interface,
though it may be my presentation.

As the site just given shows, With the overriden Installer, i should get over
that. Just need to ask if a .net framework be verified somehow to make sure
thee installer will run correctly.

Robbe Morris - MVP C#

The msi will pick up the proper version of the .net framework before
it gets to your msi user interface.

You can launch forms out of your installer. You don't "have" to use
only the msi user interface capabilities. I've found more complex
and user friendly installers to be much easier to manage by only
using the msi installer to capture the bare unconditional necessities
and then custom launch one or more forms to manage the complex
stuff.