microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

MSI extraction fails Reason: advpack.dll

TD

1/11/2008 11:41:00 PM

I've got a Windows Forms project which I've built with VS2008 (Pro), which
contains a setup and deployment project.

All are built in "any cpu" mode, and there are no third party dlls involved.

When I refer to "all machines" that means two Vista boxes and one XP Pro
box. All are 32 bit operating systems.

The MSI created by the deployment project runs fine by itself on all machines.

When I build the deployment project and get the bootstrapper, if the
bootstrapper (setup.exe) and the msi (psetup.msi) are in the same directory,
everything works as it should on all machines.

When I build a self extracting executable that packages these two files, it
fails with "cannot create process reason: advpack.dll."

As far as I can tell, the msi either never gets extracted, or gets extracted
and deleted before setup.exe can call it.

I have tried this extensively on all machines (both zipping up and
extracting/installing) using both IExpress and Winzip SE. They both yield
the same error.

Most of the responses I see to errors involving advpack.dll seem to center
around an image mismatch - attempting to do something 64 bit on a 32 bit OS.
I don't see any that can be the case here, but don't really know how to find
out if I've got something set up strangely.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks, and have a good day.