zz12

1/11/2008 5:42:00 PM

Hello. We have a Windows 2003 Server server and was wondering which .net
framework version should we install? It appears that 3.5 is the latest but
was wondering if this would be compatible with any of the prior versions
like 2.0 or 1.0? Would installing 3.5 first and then if needed install 2.0
afterwards or the other way around? I think I recall that some versions
weren't very compatible with each other and were pretty much totally
different.

Thanks in advance.

2 Answers

Phil Wilson

Server 2003 comes with 1.1 anyway, but my general question is: why install
any? Anything you install (if it's at all reasonably built) will come with
a requirement for a version of the framework and almost certainly install
the one it wants if it's not there. They all co-exist anyway, so wait until
you know what the apps you're going to install will need.
--
Phil Wilson
[MVP Windows Installer]

"zz12" <IDontLikeSpam@Nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hello. We have a Windows 2003 Server server and was wondering which .net
> framework version should we install? It appears that 3.5 is the latest
> but was wondering if this would be compatible with any of the prior
> versions like 2.0 or 1.0? Would installing 3.5 first and then if needed
> install 2.0 afterwards or the other way around? I think I recall that
> some versions weren't very compatible with each other and were pretty much
> totally different.
>
> Thanks in advance.

zz12

Because we hired a consultant who'll be developing from his personal machine
and then deploy them onto our server so he his development tools and
environment already set up.

Thanks for your helpful response Phil. Much appreciated :-)