microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Clickonce problem where setup.exe refers to Explorer path rather then download location?

Grant Schenck

11/14/2007 4:20:00 PM

Hello,

This seems like a bug given that it fails only if the ClickOnce needs to
first install the .NET runtime.

- I build a Windows Form app and a ClickOnce deployment.
- I publish to my local IIS to a virtual directory named MyAppWebSetup.
- I then copy the files to another virtual directory named
MyAppWebSetupTest.
- I then install from this new location.

Now, if .NET 2.0 is installed on the client machine, the install runs to
completion.

However, if .NET 2.0 needs to be installed then after successfully
installing .NET 2.0, the install throws an error.

Basically it says file not found for the MyApp.application because it is
looking at the original virtual directory (MyAppWebSetup) rather then the
directory the app was accessed (MyAppWebSetupTest).

The reason this seems like a bug is because it works fine IF the setup
doesn't need to install .NET 2.0. In addition, if, after .NET 2.0 is
installed I then rerun the web install and click Install again, this time it
install fine!

So, what is going on? Is this a bug? Is there some way to work around
this?

Optimally I'd like to build a separate WebSetup MSI installer which lets
them install my ClickOnce files to a customer IIS in any location they
desire.

Thanks!
--
Grant Schenck