microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

Re: .NET 3 framework "needed" when already manually installed

Harry Johnston

7/23/2007 12:30:00 AM

[crosspost to microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup]

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:

>>> You could also Run... ProcMon. That would capture any registry and file
>>> operations which might be related to the log entries you do see.
[...]
> As I explained I suspect you are likely to find that one of the packages
> is more complete than the other. So, yes, perhaps "nothing much will be
> happening" but what will be happening may be significant. ; )

OK, this did turn up something - thanks. It seems that the .NET 3 framework
installers available for download include an earlier version of MSXML6 than the
installer provided with WSUS/WU/MU.

If I install the downloaded .NET 3 framework, then update MSXML6 to 6.0.3890
(KB927977) or later, WSUS no longer offers the .NET 3 framework. This provides
a workaround for my problem, so I can stop worrying about it.

However, this still indicates a problem with either the WSUS/WU/MU package (if
KB927977 is not required by .NET 3) or the downloaded packages (if it is).

These are the links I used to download the installers:

<http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId...

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=10cc340b-f857-4a14-83f5-25634c3bf043&DisplayL...

Harry.
16 Answers

Robert Aldwinckle

"Harry Johnston" <harry@scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote in message
> [crosspost to microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup]
>
> Robert Aldwinckle wrote:

>> As I explained I suspect you are likely to find that one of the packages
>> is more complete than the other. So, yes, perhaps "nothing much will be
>> happening" but what will be happening may be significant. ; )
>
> OK, this did turn up something - thanks. It seems that the .NET 3
> framework installers available for download include an earlier
> version of MSXML6 than the installer provided with WSUS/WU/MU.

Good find!

> If I install the downloaded .NET 3 framework, then update MSXML6
> to 6.0.3890 (KB927977) or later, WSUS no longer offers the .NET 3
> framework. This provides a workaround for my problem, so I can stop worrying about it.
>
> However, this still indicates a problem with either the WSUS/WU/MU
> package (if KB927977 is not required by .NET 3) or the downloaded packages (if it is).

At least they have bothered to think about XML dependencies at all.
Previously that was a hard-to-diagnose problem for Win2000 users
trying to install a rollup that wouldn't stick until Dave Hawley did some
detailed analysis for us like yours--and that was before I had heard of
ProcMon. ; )

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/00d6dc...

Thanks for sharing your resolution.

Robert
----

abelard

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 19:05:05 GMT, "Freedom Fighter" <liberty@once.net>
wrote:

>While regular flourescent tubes are much more efficient and last much longer
>than incandescent bulbs, "compact" flourescent bulbs are mostly GARBAGE.
>
>I am an electrical engineer and have evaluated them. They are about as
>efficient as regular flourescents, but often do not last even as long as an
>incandescent bulb -

balllllllllls...

>and rarely last as long as is falsely claimed by the
>manufacturer. And they cost far more than incandescents too.

they're a big net gain.......

>They have many other technical problems - a delay between throwing the
>switch and initial illumination, coming on dim and taking a minute or so to
>reach full brightness, sensitivity to room temperature, fragility, and the
>production of RFI - radio frequency interference.
>
>Until the price comes down and quality goes up, don't buy compact
>flourescents. Use flourescent tubes or regular incandescents. If these may
>be removed from the market, stock up on them before they become scarce and
>the price soars.

yeah, good investment, you'll be able to sell them to museums in 20 or
30 years

--
web site at www.abelard.org - news comment service, logic, economics
energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past

Stephen O'Connell

Tim_Miller wrote:
> Freedom Fighter wrote:
>> While regular flourescent tubes are much more efficient and last
>> much longer than incandescent bulbs, "compact" flourescent bulbs are
>> mostly GARBAGE.
>>
>> I am an electrical engineer
>
> Of COURSE you are!
>
> Now me, I graduated Cambridge at the age of 14 with dual
> PhDs in Quantum Electrodynamics and History. When I'm
> not pushing back the frontiers of science, I play concert
> piano for relaxation, and run marathons. Oh, and I'm
> also a gourmet cook.
>
> Isn't the Internet a wonderful place?? We can ALL pretend
> to be ANYONE we want to be!!

Can I be Pamela Anderson's gynaecologist today so please?

Féachadóir

Scr?obh "Freedom Fighter" <liberty@once.net>:
>While regular flourescent tubes are much more efficient and last much longer
>than incandescent bulbs, "compact" flourescent bulbs are mostly GARBAGE.
>
>I am an electrical engineer and have evaluated them.

Where are your results published?

--
'Donegal: Up Here It's Different'
? F?achad?ir

John of Aix

Tim_Miller wrote:
> Freedom Fighter wrote:
>> While regular flourescent tubes are much more efficient and last
>> much longer than incandescent bulbs, "compact" flourescent bulbs are
>> mostly GARBAGE. I am an electrical engineer
>
> Of COURSE you are!
>
> Now me, I graduated Cambridge at the age of 14 with dual
> PhDs in Quantum Electrodynamics and History. When I'm
> not pushing back the frontiers of science, I play concert
> piano for relaxation, and run marathons. Oh, and I'm
> also a gourmet cook.
>
> Isn't the Internet a wonderful place?? We can ALL pretend
> to be ANYONE we want to be!!

I'm pretending to be someone who knows how to spell fluorescent. Once is
a typo, three times is crass ignoarnce, especially when coming from an
"electrical engineer (so not you professor).

Tim_Miller

Lou Ravi wrote:
> Tim_Miller wrote:
>> Freedom Fighter wrote:
>>> While regular flourescent tubes are much more efficient and last
>>> much longer than incandescent bulbs, "compact" flourescent bulbs are
>>> mostly GARBAGE. I am an electrical engineer
>> Of COURSE you are!
>>
>> Now me, I graduated Cambridge at the age of 14 with dual
>> PhDs in Quantum Electrodynamics and History. When I'm
>> not pushing back the frontiers of science, I play concert
>> piano for relaxation, and run marathons. Oh, and I'm
>> also a gourmet cook.
>>
>> Isn't the Internet a wonderful place?? We can ALL pretend
>> to be ANYONE we want to be!!
>
> I'm pretending to be someone who knows how to spell fluorescent. Once is
> a typo, three times is crass ignoarnce, especially when coming from an
> "electrical engineer (so not you professor).

Heh heh... THAT'S gonna leave a mark... :)

BDK

In article <BN6Ik.266402$102.215447@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
liberty@once.net says...
> While regular flourescent tubes are much more efficient and last much longer
> than incandescent bulbs, "compact" flourescent bulbs are mostly GARBAGE.
>
> I am an electrical engineer and have evaluated them. They are about as
> efficient as regular flourescents, but often do not last even as long as an
> incandescent bulb - and rarely last as long as is falsely claimed by the
> manufacturer. And they cost far more than incandescents too.
>
> They have many other technical problems - a delay between throwing the
> switch and initial illumination, coming on dim and taking a minute or so to
> reach full brightness, sensitivity to room temperature, fragility, and the
> production of RFI - radio frequency interference.
>
> Until the price comes down and quality goes up, don't buy compact
> flourescents. Use flourescent tubes or regular incandescents. If these may
> be removed from the market, stock up on them before they become scarce and
> the price soars.

Funny how I have a few that are over 4 years old, and one that's at
least 5.

--
BDK

BDK Klan leader?
kOOk Magnet!
NJJ CLUB #1
Shillmaster

BDK

In article <BN6Ik.266402$102.215447@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
liberty@once.net says...
> While regular flourescent tubes are much more efficient and last much longer
> than incandescent bulbs, "compact" flourescent bulbs are mostly GARBAGE.
>
> I am an electrical engineer and have evaluated them. They are about as
> efficient as regular flourescents, but often do not last even as long as an
> incandescent bulb - and rarely last as long as is falsely claimed by the
> manufacturer. And they cost far more than incandescents too.
>
> They have many other technical problems - a delay between throwing the
> switch and initial illumination, coming on dim and taking a minute or so to
> reach full brightness, sensitivity to room temperature, fragility, and the
> production of RFI - radio frequency interference.
>
> Until the price comes down and quality goes up, don't buy compact
> flourescents. Use flourescent tubes or regular incandescents. If these may
> be removed from the market, stock up on them before they become scarce and
> the price soars.

LOL, I didn't pay attention to who posted the nonsense above, and would
have busted out laughing at the "I am an electrical engineer" line!

--
BDK

BDK Klan leader?
kOOk Magnet!
NJJ CLUB #1
Shillmaster

BDK

In article <g232f4d2u3fftecf8o7rn0t113p1jlg70j@4ax.com>, Féach@d.óir
says...
> Scríobh "Freedom Fighter" <liberty@once.net>:
> >While regular flourescent tubes are much more efficient and last much longer
> >than incandescent bulbs, "compact" flourescent bulbs are mostly GARBAGE.
> >
> >I am an electrical engineer and have evaluated them.
>
> Where are your results published?

Rense?

--
BDK

BDK Klan leader?
kOOk Magnet!
NJJ CLUB #1
Shillmaster

quintal

In article <gcqu8r$8n9$1@registered.motzarella.org>, no.spam@fk.u.com
says...
> Tim_Miller wrote:
> > Freedom Fighter wrote:
> >> While regular flourescent tubes are much more efficient and last
> >> much longer than incandescent bulbs, "compact" flourescent bulbs are
> >> mostly GARBAGE.
> >>
> >> I am an electrical engineer
> >
> > Of COURSE you are!
> >
> > Now me, I graduated Cambridge at the age of 14 with dual
> > PhDs in Quantum Electrodynamics and History. When I'm
> > not pushing back the frontiers of science, I play concert
> > piano for relaxation, and run marathons. Oh, and I'm
> > also a gourmet cook.
> >
> > Isn't the Internet a wonderful place?? We can ALL pretend
> > to be ANYONE we want to be!!
>
> Can I be Pamela Anderson's gynaecologist today so please?

eeeeeeeeewwwwwwww

--
blog:
http://quintaldo.word...