microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.setup

"Windows Installer" starts during the setup project build

Hugo Venancio

7/17/2007 9:18:00 AM

Hello,

I've made a simple windows forms project and created a setup project also.
This setup project includes the windows forms project's output. when I try
to build the setup project, the "Windows Installer" pop-up window starts
saying "Preparing to install...".

After a while, it says "Please wait while Windows configures Visual Studio
..NET Entreprise Architects 2003 - English", and returns an error "Error 1706.
No valid source could be found for product Visual Studio .NET Enterprise
Architect 2003 - English. The windows installer can not continue".

I can only avoid this pop-up (and the error) if I have one CD/DVD inserted
on CD drive. It may be any CD/DVD (do not have to be the VS 2003 DVD).

I found it after checking the File Monitor to see what access the build was
performing, and I saw that the CD drive was being accessed.

I already tried to re-install the VS.2003 without success.
I have installed the Windows Installer 3.1.

Do you know what I should do to avoid it?

I'd appreciate your help.
Thanks in advance.

BR,
Hugo
4 Answers

Phil Wilson

It's repairing itself - the event log should have more detail about what it
thinks is broken.
--
Phil Wilson
[MVP Windows Installer]

"Hugo Venancio" <HugoVenancio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've made a simple windows forms project and created a setup project also.
> This setup project includes the windows forms project's output. when I try
> to build the setup project, the "Windows Installer" pop-up window starts
> saying "Preparing to install...".
>
> After a while, it says "Please wait while Windows configures Visual Studio
> .NET Entreprise Architects 2003 - English", and returns an error "Error
> 1706.
> No valid source could be found for product Visual Studio .NET Enterprise
> Architect 2003 - English. The windows installer can not continue".
>
> I can only avoid this pop-up (and the error) if I have one CD/DVD inserted
> on CD drive. It may be any CD/DVD (do not have to be the VS 2003 DVD).
>
> I found it after checking the File Monitor to see what access the build
> was
> performing, and I saw that the CD drive was being accessed.
>
> I already tried to re-install the VS.2003 without success.
> I have installed the Windows Installer 3.1.
>
> Do you know what I should do to avoid it?
>
> I'd appreciate your help.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> BR,
> Hugo

Hugo Venancio

"Phil Wilson" wrote:

> It's repairing itself - the event log should have more detail about what it
> thinks is broken.
> --
> Phil Wilson
> [MVP Windows Installer]
>
> "Hugo Venancio" <HugoVenancio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've made a simple windows forms project and created a setup project also.
> > This setup project includes the windows forms project's output. when I try
> > to build the setup project, the "Windows Installer" pop-up window starts
> > saying "Preparing to install...".
> >
> > After a while, it says "Please wait while Windows configures Visual Studio
> > .NET Entreprise Architects 2003 - English", and returns an error "Error
> > 1706.
> > No valid source could be found for product Visual Studio .NET Enterprise
> > Architect 2003 - English. The windows installer can not continue".
> >
> > I can only avoid this pop-up (and the error) if I have one CD/DVD inserted
> > on CD drive. It may be any CD/DVD (do not have to be the VS 2003 DVD).
> >
> > I found it after checking the File Monitor to see what access the build
> > was
> > performing, and I saw that the CD drive was being accessed.
> >
> > I already tried to re-install the VS.2003 without success.
> > I have installed the Windows Installer 3.1.
> >
> > Do you know what I should do to avoid it?
> >
> > I'd appreciate your help.
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > BR,
> > Hugo

Hello,
Thanks for the reply.
In fact, I only found the answer after reading this page:
http://weblogs.asp.net/jdennany/archive/2004/08/24/2...

Resuming:
To fix the problem, we must un-register and register the mergemod.dll.
This dll is usually found in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\MSI Tools\mergemod.dll".

BR,
Hugo

edhavelaar

On Jul 18, 8:26 pm, Hugo Venancio
<HugoVenan...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> "Phil Wilson" wrote:
> > It's repairing itself - the event log should have more detail about what it
> > thinks is broken.
> > --
> > Phil Wilson
> > [MVP Windows Installer]
>
> > "Hugo Venancio" <HugoVenan...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
>
> > > I've made a simple windows forms project and created a setup project also.
> > > This setup project includes the windows forms project's output. when I try
> > > to build the setup project, the "Windows Installer" pop-up window starts
> > > saying "Preparing to install...".
>
> > > After a while, it says "Please wait while Windows configures Visual Studio
> > > .NET Entreprise Architects 2003 - English", and returns an error "Error
> > > 1706.
> > > No valid source could be found for product Visual Studio .NET Enterprise
> > > Architect 2003 - English. The windows installer can not continue".
>
> > > I can only avoid this pop-up (and the error) if I have one CD/DVD inserted
> > > on CD drive. It may be any CD/DVD (do not have to be the VS 2003 DVD).
>
> > > I found it after checking the File Monitor to see what access the build
> > > was
> > > performing, and I saw that the CD drive was being accessed.
>
> > > I already tried to re-install the VS.2003 without success.
> > > I have installed the Windows Installer 3.1.
>
> > > Do you know what I should do to avoid it?
>
> > > I'd appreciate your help.
> > > Thanks in advance.
>
> > > BR,
> > > Hugo
>
> Hello,
> Thanks for the reply.
> In fact, I only found the answer after reading this page:http://weblogs.asp.net/jdennany/archive/2004/08/24/2...
>
> Resuming:
> To fix the problem, we must un-register and register the mergemod.dll.
> This dll is usually found in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
> Shared\MSI Tools\mergemod.dll".
>
> BR,
> Hugo- Hide quoted text -

Hi, unregester and reregister how exactly?

Ed

Gary B

Thanks, that solved it for me too...

use:

regsvr32.exe /u "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSI
Tools\mergemod.dll"

regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSI
Tools\mergemod.dll"

respectively...

Gary

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.develop... ***